Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:30:29 -0500
Reply-To: Ralph Stuart <rstuart**At_Symbol_Here**>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Ralph Stuart <rstuart**At_Symbol_Here**>
Subject: LPS toxicity

A question from our University Vet with regard to an animal care  
Can you clarify whether lipopolysaccharide (LPS) should be classified  
as a toxic material?

The MSDS I found on-line says:
Health and Toxicity Hazard:

In 20 gram mice, the LD50 of lipopolysaccharides ranges between 250-  
500 g by i.v. or i.p. administration. The LD50 in humans has not  
been determined. Lipopolysaccharides are highly pyrogenic. The  
minimal pyrogenic dose in humans following i.v. administration has  
been estimated at 4 ng/kg. Toxicological properties of  
lipopolysaccharides have not been fully investigated. They may be  
harmful by ingestion, inhalation or absorption through skin.


It sounds like a low LD50 to me, but perhaps someone on the list has  
a more informed perspective?

- Ralph

Ralph Stuart, CIH
Environmental Safety Manager
University of Vermont
Environmental Safety Facility
667 Spear St. Burlington, VT  05405

fax: (802)656-5407

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.