Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:05:59 -0500
Reply-To: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: 3 press stories about UNC student injured in lab explosion

Someone mentioned the challenge of restarting hazardous lab operations  

after a break. It seems like the problem is particularly noticeable  
this year... Doesn't sound like much technical information is reaching  

the media.

- Ralph

UNC student injured in lab explosion
Posted: Today at 10:53 a.m.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - A University of North Carolina graduate student  
was injured Monday when a flask of nitric acid exploded in a  
laboratory, authorities said.

The unidentified student was working on the third floor of Kenan Labs  

when the explosion occurred, authorities said. No evacuation of the  
area was needed, authorities said.

The student was taken to UNC Hospitals for treatment of cuts and  
burns, authorities said.


One Injured In Kenan Lab Explosion
UNC=92s Kenan Laboratories had a little rumble Monday morning.

A UNC grad student caused a small explosion while she was working with  

chemicals in one of the lab=92s workspaces.

UNC Department of Public Safety spokesman Randy Young said the  
incident occurred at around 9:45 Monday morning on the third floor of  

the laboratory.

Nitric acid is a highly corrosive acid and is dangerous when mixed  
with organic materials, which could result in an explosive reaction.

Young said UNC=92s Environment, Health and Safety team were on hand to  

clean up the chemicals at the work station.

Traffic around the building on South Road remained steady despite the  



UNC-CH graduate student hurt in flask explosion in lab
 =46rom Staff ReportsComment on this story

CHAPEL HILL - A graduate student at UNC-Chapel Hill suffered minor  
injuries Monday morning in a mishap in a campus laboratory.
The female student suffered minor cuts and abrasions when a flask of  
nitric acid pressurized and exploded in a research lab inside Kenan  
Labs on South Road. She was awake, alert and smiling when loaded into  

an ambulance, with a small bandage over a part of her chin and cheek.

The student, whose identity was not released Monday, had some contact  

with the chemical but suffered no serious wounds, said Randy Young, a  

spokesman for the university's Public Safety Department.

The building was not evacuated.

"It was well-contained in that one area," Young said.

Kenan Labs is one of the university's major chemical research  

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.