Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:26:00 -0400
Reply-To: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: N.L. college evacuated after spill of picric acid in laboratory ticle/ALeqM5i6yScTdUYnciWk9yqH-9D_OZ_Yog

N.L. college evacuated after spill of picric acid in laboratory
(CP) - 1 day ago

ST. JOHN'S =97 The College of the North Atlantic on Prince Philip Drive in St. John's was evacuated Tuesday following an acid spill in one of the labs.

The spill was detected in a lab on the third floor of the building at about 2:00 p.m. Tuesday.

The school was evacuated and the St. John's Regional Fire Department's hazardous materials team handled the situation.

Supt. Don Byrne says it was a small spill of picric acid, with total quantities being a few ounces.

It was in a liquid form and not the more dangerous crystallized picric acid.

He says there was nobody in the lab at the time.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.