Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 12:58:27 -0800
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: "LaCroix, Steve (DOH)" <Steve.LaCroix**At_Symbol_Here**DOH.WA.GOV>
Subject: Re: Lab Spill Team
Comments: cc: Patricia Peifer
In-Reply-To: A
	Unfortunately the regulations do not differentiate between a
large or smaller spill. We have gone round and around on spill teams and
currently management did not want to invest in them. The down-side is
that your facility may be shut down for the time period to get a
responder in. It would also need to be clear on what your employees can
handle as part of regular HazCom safety training. We met with a
responder and went over this.

In order to have a spill team, some of the requirements are:

-Equipment (personal gear, ~$500; response supplies (tubs, tarps, etc.,
-Members pass a medical physical initially and every 1-2 years.
-In emergency response plan, include 6-well developed scenarios.
-4-gas meter: confirm not explosive; calibration and order an O2 sensor
every year.
	-24 hour initial training. If someone has other training,
someone from your facility needs to be willing to sign off that the
person is competent. Usually just do the 24-hour class. $5-$8000 for
6-16 people.
	-SCBA: initial training, then practice monthly until all can do
	-Emergency response team level B - Advanced first aid, search &
rescue, etc.

When having a responder come in you would still need to be prepared at
the Awareness and Operational level of response.

I hope this helps.

Steve LaCroix
Quality Assurance and Safety Officer
Department of Health
Epidemiology, Health Statistics, and Public Health Laboratories
1610 NE 150th St.
Shoreline, WA 98155
Phone: (206) 418-5437
Cell: 206-391-9025
FAX: (206) 418-5485
email: steve.lacroix**At_Symbol_Here**
ergonomic information: http://dohweb/Risk/Ergonomicsnew.htm 
"The Department of Health works to protect and improve the health of
people in Washington State"

-----Original Message-----
From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**] On Behalf Of
Patricia Peifer
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 12:00 PM
To: DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Lab Spill Team

I work in a small lab (about 65 people) with minimal potential for large
spills.  The largest spill we have had since I have been here is 4
of methylene chloride.  We could have a bigger spill but it is extremely

We have a spill team composed of 5 lab employees (including myself) who
asked to deal with the bigger spills, such as the 4 L of methylene
chloride.  The spill team has respirators and gets fit tested every
We also have a spill training session each year, about 1 hour long.   If
have a spill that we cannot handle, we have an ourside contractor we
on calling.

I have been told I should be having the entire spill team take the 24
HAZWOPER course with an annual refresher.   That will be a hard sell for
to management unless it is absolutely required.  I do feel that we
have more than the one hour we typically have, though.  If the 24-hour
HAZWOPER is not absolutely required, I would like to have someone come
and give us a half-day (at least) of spill training.

So, two questions:

Does anyone know if I have been told the correct information about the
for the 24 hour HAZWOPER?
Does anyone know of a good person to contact in Eastern Pennsylvania
spill training?


Pat Peifer
Project Manager, Safety & Training

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.