Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:45:08 -0500
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: 2 Chemical Safety news stories from Google


UPDATE: Lab experiment injures Purdue employee


A Purdue University doctoral research assistant was taken to the 
hospital this afternoon after a chemical mix caused a glass vial to 
rupture in her hands.

Chip Flahive, assistant chief with the Purdue Fire Department, said 
firefighters responded to an initial report of a fluoride explosion at 
2:11 p.m. in Room B160 at Neil Armstrong Hall.

According to Flahive, Kirsten Genson was holding a 10-milliliter vial 
containing six chemicals when the vial ruptured, leaving her with 
lacerations to her hands.

After the incident, Genson was taken to Clarian Arnett Hospital in 
Lafayette for treatment.

Flahive said there was no other damage and no fire.


United Kingdom

Chemical incident in London Road Grays
3:54pm Wednesday 16th December 2009

THE fire brigade was called to a house in Grays after some sulphuric 
acid was spilled down the sink giving off toxic fumes.

The occupier of the house had been attempting to unblock the sink using 
a litre of a powerful scouring agent.

Firefighters, who arrived at 5.45pm, dealt with the spillage and then 
ventilated the property before leaving at 5.59pm.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.