Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:41:50 -0500
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: 3 Chemical Safety news stories from Google


Firefighters called to Mitsubuishi Polycrystalline plant when chemical 
reactor overheats
By Jillian Kramer
January 16, 2010, 9:26PM
THEODORE, Ala. -- Mobile firefighters stood by tonight as employees of 
the Mitsubishi Polycrystalline plant in Theodore tried to cool down a 
reactor that heated up during a power outage, according to fire 

The power went out at the plant, on Mitsubishi Lane near Rangeline Road, 
about 8 p.m., according to Mobile Fire-Rescue spokesman Steve Huffman.

During the outage, Huffman said, a reactor containing chemicals heated 
up, and firefighters were called to the area in case plant workers 
couldn't cool it back down.

About 9 p.m., after the power came back on, the reactor cooled down, 
Huffman said. 

Nothing caught fire in the plant, he said, and no one was hurt.


London, UK

Two ill after chemical leak at central London hotel

A central London hotel was evacuated overnight after ammonia leaked from 
a refrigerator in one of its rooms.

Two people were taken to hospital and 30 people had to leave the Best 
Western Hotel on Devonshire Terrace at 0230 GMT on Sunday.

The London Fire Brigade removed the fridge and ventilated the rooms.

The London Ambulance Service, which was called at 0320 GMT, said it 
treated two people who were taken to St Mary's Hospital in central 

"We are investigating all the rooms which have fridges," the hotel 
spokeswoman said.

"All these rooms have been taken out of service until we have finished 
our investigation."

The hotel was evacuated for about 45 minutes.


Marianna Chemical Fire Clean-Up
	 Reported by: Allison Sossaman 
Email: asossaman**At_Symbol_Here** 
Last Update: 1/16 10:17 pm
Print Story | ShareThis

MARIANNA, AR - People in Marianna, Arkansas were forced out of their 
homes by a chemical fire. Now, some have burning questions about the 
dangerous smoke that filled their neighborhood. Marianna is in Lee 
County, more than an hour's drive West of Memphis.

There were several workers in the building when the fire started. It's 
not clear what happened at the farm product storage facility, but the 
company, Jimmy Sanders, Inc., says there was work being done on the roof 
when those inside saw something fall through the ceiling. What happened 
next could be seen from miles away.

Paula Young lives in apartments just behind the warehouse. 

=93I went outside and saw this big ball of smoke,=94 Young said. =93It 
was just black, horrific, thick smoke.=94 

Hazmat crews stayed overnight and all day Saturday cleaning up the mess. 
All that stands now is a pile of burnt rubble, but Paula's still worried 
about what she saw Friday.

=94It was horrifying,=94 Young said. =93I couldn=92t believe what I was 
seeing, and all these little kids were running around. You could 
actually smell it, because my eyes are still burning. My nose and my 

The Jimmy Sanders facility stores and distributes farm products.

=93We have common farm chemicals that are used on crops like corn, 
cotton and soybeans across the region,=94 said Executive Vice President 
Barry Knight. =93They are some of the same products you have in your 

The Marianna Fire Chief, Rodney Herndon, said his department was 
prepared to handle the toxic situation.

=93Jimmy Sanders always gives us material safety data sheets on the 
chemicals they have in store,=94 Herndon said. =93And we just pulled our 
fire pre-plan on them and worked our plan.=94

They let the fire burn itself out. Their main concern was the smoke.

=93We've got people on the other side of the county to make sure that 
none of it's going in anybody's houses,=94 said Herndon. =93To see that 
nobody will be affected, any pets or livestock or anything of that 

Some people who left their homes returned a few hours later. Paula young 
wanted to wait until this morning.

=93Those kids, they were out playing yesterday,=94 Young said. =93They 
inhaled all this stuff. I'm going to the doctor. My immune system's 
already compromised. I don't need anything else.=94 

We're told there were things like pesticides and fertilizers inside the 
facility. Things that can be very toxic, but it's unclear if anyone was 
exposed to the smoke long enough for it to do serious damage. A company 
spokesperson says a million dollars worth of inventory was destroyed. No 
one was injured in the fire. 

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.