Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 13:17:30 -0500
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at

Toxic gas cloud injures four in Humberside chemical explosion

Four people were taken to hospital today with chemical burns from a cloud of toxic gas after an explosion at a factory on the river Humber near Grimsby.

The casualties also inhaled toxic fumes after titanium tetrachloride gas escaped from the Cristal Global chemical plant, Humber coastguard said. One of the injured was transferred to a specialist burns unit at Pinderfields hospital in Wakefield, West Yorkshire and all shipping in the estuary was halted for several hours.

Chile: Researchers in Chile Hit Hard by Quake - ScienceInsider

Researchers in Chile Hit Hard by Quake

Scientists at research universities in several Chilean cities are reeling from last week's earthquake, which overturned microscopes, set fire to laboratories, washed years of research out to sea, and took the life of a young marine biologist. Aftershocks are still rattling the country.

The worst damage reported was to the University of Concepci=F3n, near the epicenter of the 8.8 magnitude quake. There a fire ravaged the building housing one of Chile's leading chemistry centers, including a lab studying advanced polymers. "It's still standing, but it burned completely," said Jaime Baeza, the university's vice-rector for research, reached by cell phone in Concepci=F3n. No injuries were reported because the quake took place early Saturday and most of the 100 or so students and faculty were on vacation. But valuable equipment was lost, Baeza says, and "the quake may have set us back 3 or 4 years, even 10 years."

US_NV: LHHS stays closed today School remains shuttered after spray incident

LHHS stays closed today
School remains shuttered after spray incident

Lake Havasu High School remained closed for a second day today after a student sprayed a banned pesticide on school walls and placed drops of the chemical in at least one trash can Wednesday, according to school and fire officials.

The odor from the chemical led school officials to at first believe it was a =93stink bomb=94 in the J hall.

Devon Mills, a LHHS senior, said he showed up to school a little early Wednesday to finish homework and the =93smell in the hallway was just awful.=94

US_IA: Two charged with setting off bottle bombs in Cedar Rapids
Two charged with setting off bottle bombs in Cedar Rapids
by PAT CURTIS on MARCH 5, 2010
Two men are facing charges for setting off two homemade chemical bombs at a Cedar Rapids apartment complex earlier this year. Tim Bowen III and Mitchell Adney, both of Cedar Rapids, were charged Thursday in connection with an incident at the Hawthorne Hills complex on the night of January 31.

Authorities were called to the complex on the city=92s southwest side after a pair of bombs exploded. Several more of the so-called =93MacGyver=94 bombs failed to go off. No one was injured. Bowen and Adney, both 22, are charged with reckless use of fire or explosives - a serious misdemeanor.

If convicted, they could face up to a year in prison and be fined one-thousand-875 dollars ($1,875). A fire department spokesperson says Adney=92s former girlfriend lived in the apartment complex.

US_WA: REC Silicon puts out small fire
MOSES LAKE =97 Neighbors were alerted to a small fire at REC Silicon Thursday morning.

=93It was a fire inside of a wash station ... which is a piece of equipment used to wash other equipment,=94 said Plant Manager Jeff Johnson. =93Because the fire sparked in the plant, we sounded the emergency system. That just how we do it.=94

It was in the poly manufacturing plant, where silane gas is used to make polysilicon, which is a component used in electronic manufacturing.

The damage was described as minimal. Johnson said they will conduct a routine investigation to determine the start of the fire and extent of damage.

US_CT: Cleaning with hazardous chemical mix lands woman in hospital

TORRINGTON =97 A woman cleaning a tub became ill from chemicals that caused a toxic reaction Thursday afternoon, Torrington Fire Captain David Rogers said.

Firefighters responded to a house at 173 Culvert St. around 1:50 p.m. for an emergency involving hazardous materials. The first responders treated the woman on scene for a respiratory ailment and then took her to Charlotte Hungerford Hospital, Rogers said.

=93Incompatible cleaning chemicals mixed and gave off a toxic batch of fumes,=94 Rogers said. =93It caused some respiratory issues for the woman. She is asthmatic as well. This makes her a little more sensitive to those types of fumes.=94

After the woman was outside the house, the firefighters measured the air quality inside the structure. Their readings detected the air was safe to breath again, as the tiny amount of toxic fumes had dissipated, Rogers said. Another person was at the house when the woman became ill yet was not harmed, he said.

US_IN: Ammonia leak sends one to hospital
Ammonia leak sends one to hospital
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - A chemical leak on the city=92s southwest side has one person sent to the hospital.

Wayne Township Fire personnel were called to Vertellus Chemical at 1500 S. Tibbs Friday afternoon a report of a chemical leak.

Plant officials told firefighters that contractors were doing some maintenance on some lines that contained ammonia when a valve broke and briefly released a small amount of ammonia into the air.

The valve was quickly shut off and personnel immediately began to check for any potential danger to the surrounding neighborhoods.

Three employees were affected by the leak. One was transported by ambulance to Methodist Hospital. Two others signed medical releases after receiving treatment at the scene.

There was no evacuation of the neighborhood

US_IL: Lockport building evacuated and traffic was rerouted
Chemical spill causes evacuation, road closure
Lockport fire officials say nobody was hurt

Lockport officials evacuated a downtown building and rerouted traffic earlier this week after 100 gallons of a flammable industrial solvent leaked from a tanker truck on Illinois Highway 171 at Ninth Street.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.