Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 06:51:59 -0500
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at

us_ia: Possible meth lab explosion damages local motel
An active methamphetamine lab may have been the cause of an early morning explosion Sunday at the Chief Motel, 2701 Main St., Keokuk, according to information from the Keokuk Fire Department.

=93The task force (Lee County Narcotics Task Force) is still looking at it,=94 said Keokuk Police Chief Tom Crew, commander of the task force. =93We haven=92t been able to locate an individual that may have been involved, but to our knowledge, no one was seriously injured.=94

Crew said the =93percussion of the explosion or whatever it was blew part of the soffit off the outside and there was searing of bed items, such as the comforter and blankets as though there was a flashover.=94

US_NJ: 3 workers hurt in chemical fire
3 workers hurt in chemical fire 

PATERSON -- A small fire in an 11th Street chemical company sent three workers to the hospital with minor injuries Thursday morning, fire officials said.

A barrel of nitrocellulose, a highly flammable chemical, caught fire just after 11:30 a.m. at the Kirker Chemical company, said Deputy Chief John Duffy. Plant employees tried to extinguish the fire before firefighters arrived, and three were taken to St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center with what appeared to be minor injuries, Duffy said.

The fire was under control just after noon. Workers evacuated from the building were allowed back about 1 p.m., Duffy said.

The building had water damage and minor fire and smoke damage. The fire remains under investigation.

Australia: Chemical leak evacuates P&O site
Chemical leak evacuates P&O site

UPDATE 10.10am: A P&O terminal in West Melbourne has been evacuated following an acid leak.

Metropolitan Fire Brigade spokeswoman Jennifer Roberts said crews were called to the Coode Rd P&O site about 6.45am, after a pellet started leaking corrosive liquid.

=93One of the pellets was leaking inside the factory so they evacuated the people working there,=94 Ms Roberts said.

US_NY: Zweigle=92s evacuated; worker hospitalized -
Zweigle=92s evacuated; worker hospitalized
Local News - March 8, 2010 - 9:49am

TINA YEE staff photographer
A Rochester Fire Department haz-mat firefighter heads toward Zweigle=92s to help clean up a chemical spill involving cleaning chemicals today.
An accidental mixing of cleaning products at Zweigle=92s Inc. sent one person to the hospital and closed a street.

A maintenance worker at Zweigle=92s, 651 N. Plymouth Ave., was mixing cleaning chemicals and dumped one in a five-gallon bucket about 7 a.m., Rochester Fire Capt. Chris McCullough said.

The worker thought the bucket was empty, but it contained the residue of another chemical. The mixture =97 a mild combination of acid and chlorine that is common to home cleaning products =97 created a gas that irritates the lungs, said McCullough.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.