Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 08:27:35 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at

us_tn: Meth lab seized

On Thursday afternoon the Benton County Sheriff=92s Office received a tip that somebody was cooking methamphetamine on Lankford Arnold Road. Investigators Rickey Pafford, Bryan Allen, and Lieutenant Jason Lowery arrived at 1115 Lankford Arnold Road where Baker Shawn Hardin allegedly met them at their vehicle. According to reports, while Pafford and Lowery talked to Hardin, Allen went to the door and obtained permission to search from Marlene Williams, the property owner.

As Hardin walked with officers to a brown outbuilding located on the property, he allegedly told the officers he did not have the keys to the building.

Officers stated they could smell a strong chemical smell in the area of the building.

us_il: Geneva hospital building evacuated
A medical office building at Delnor Hospital in Geneva was evacuated Tuesday after a "minor" hazardous materials spill, firefighters said.

No injuries were reported in the incident, which happened around 12:19 p.m. at 351 Delnor Drive, when a nurse practitioner bumped into a container of formaldehyde, spilling about 2 ounces, hospital and fire officials said.

"Following the correct procedure, she left the room, put a towel under the door, evacuated the office and called the fire department," Deputy Fire Chief Jerry Koster said.

Hospital spokesman Brian Griffin said about 100 people were evacuated from 16 medical offices in the building.

Koster said people were allowed back in about two hours later, after a hazardous materials team cleaned up and investigated.

"It was a relatively minor spill," Koster said. "But until we get it assessed and know what we're dealing with, we err to the side of safety."

us_wi: Chemical explosion at Oconomowoc resort sent over 30 people to hospitals | Employment Law | JusticeNewsFlash Release

Oconomowoc, WI=97A chemical explosion at Olympia Resort and Conference Center left an employee with multiple fractures and minor burns Tuesday morning, March 16, 2010. The worker was reportedly mixing chlorine with another chemical while in the laundry room of the resort, prompting the blast. As a safety precaution, over thirty people, including other employees, police officers and fire rescue personnel also reported to area hospitals after the incident. The resort is located on the 1300 block of Royale Mile Road, according to information provided by the 

Deputies from the Oconomowoc Police Department reported that at approximately 9 a.m., an unidentified female employee was in the laundry room, located in the basement of the resort, mixing chlorine and another chemical when the explosion occurred.

us_oh: Chemical spill shuts down road, sends four to hospital
HAMILTON TWP. =97 Authorities said a leaking compressed gas tank late this afternoon, March 16, caused a road to shut down and four firefighters to need medical attention.
Hamilton Twp. Fire Chief Mark Greatorex said the tank was leaking sulfur dioxide which caused noxious, malodorous smoke and vapor to emanate from a storage building at the former gun powder factory, now known as the Kings Mills Commerce Park, 1409 Grandin Road.
Firefighters initially responded at 5:11 p.m. By 8:20 p.m., the area was secure, according to a witness at the scene. Grandin Road reopened around 9 p.m.
A Cincinnati area hazardous materials team responded at about 5:25 p.m. after firefighters determined there was no fire and that the source of the smoke appeared to be chemical.

us_ca: More Fines For UCLA
An additional $97,000 in fines for lax laboratory safety practices has been assessed against the University of California, Los Angeles, by a state agency.

The school's department of chemistry and biochemistry has been under scrutiny since a Dec. 29, 2008, laboratory fire led to the death of chemistry researcher Sheharbano (Sheri) Sangji (C&EN, Aug. 3, 2009, page 29). The California Division of Occupational Safety & Health (Cal/OSHA) investigated the incident and fined the university $31,875 in May 2009 (C&EN, May 11, 2009, page 7).

The Los Angeles County District Attorney's office is also now reviewing the Sangji case to decide whether to file criminal charges against the university or any of its employees.

15 MAR 10
US_NC: Woman found dead in Oxford with toxic chemicals nearby
OXFORD, N.C. =97 Hazmat crews responded to an Oxford home late Sunday and evacuated nearby homes after a woman's body was found in a car with toxic chemicals on a seat near her.
Family members called authorities to 107 Hazelwood Court at about 10 p.m., where the car was parked behind the house. Oxford Police Chief John Wolford said a chemical mixture was on the seat near the body of Phillita Harris, 35.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.