Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:59:49 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at

us_tx: MFD: White powder from portable fire extinguisher
Midland Fire Department officials said Thursday the white powder discovered in an east Midland neighborhood Wednesday was a compound used in portable fire extinguishers.

The powder was first reported at 10:51 a.m. Wednesday in the 1000 block of Weatherford when a mailman came in contact with the substance on his route and began having trouble breathing, officials said.

Crews shut down several blocks in the area as they investigated the scene. The mail carrier was taken to Midland Memorial Hospital, where he was treated and released. Tests Wednesday confirmed the substance was not hazardous but could have been an irritant.

us_sc: Seven Treated After Chemical Scare in Sumter
A scare Thursday Morning at a Sumter post office. Just after 8AM several workers had to be treated for chemical inhalation after opening a package.
Captain Brian Horton with the Sumter Fire Department says the chemical was a dog repellant that mail carriers use that is similar to pepper spray.
Horton says six people were treated at the post office, one person was taken to Toumey Hospital.
Everyone is expected to be ok.
Haz mat crews from the Sumter Fire Department and Shaw Air Force base cleared the scene.
The post office is now operating normally.

uk: Gloucestershire man in hospital after chemical spillage
A man was taken to hospital after a chemical spillage at the Staverton industrial estate in Gloucestershire.
The victim was treated for contamination injuries after 2,000 litres of printer-cleaning fluid spilled at the Herrick Way site.
The spillage was mopped up and made safe by fire crews from Cheltenham, Gloucester and Stroud.
An environmental protection unit also attended the incident, which happened just before 2300 GMT on Wednesday.

us_tx: Chemical release leads to brief shelter-in-place
A chemical leak led to a brief shelter-in-place for middle school students, according to information KFDM News has received from first responders.

No one was hurt.

A sulphur dioxide leak was reported at about 10:50 a.m. Thursday at Calabrian Chemicals, 5500 Highway 366 in Port Neches, according to Doug Bledsoe with the Port Neches Fire Department.

us_ms: Three kids hospitalized after ingesting a toxic liquid
The Starkville Police Department in conjuction with the Starkville Fire Department responded to hazardous material incident where three children, ages two years old, three years old and five years old had been exposed to sodium hydroxide near building 19 in the Brookville Gardens Apartment Complex.

The victims were transported to the Oktibbeha County Hospital Emergency Room by relatives for apparent chemical burns that appear to have been from orally ingesting the chemical.

The chemical was located near a public service man hole. The area was decontaminated and the children are continuing to be treated at the Oktibbeha County Hospital.

us_oh: Chemical Spill Prompts Evacuation
HARRISON TOWNSHIP, Ohio -- Fire crews responded to a local doctor=92s office after a worker spilled a hazardous chemical.
The spill happened at the Primed Physician=92s Office in the 7200 block of North Main Street in Harrison Township. One employee was taken to a local hospital after the spill.
Workers told News Center 7 that it smelled like a bio experiment that had gone wrong after two few gallons spilled inside the building.
Rebecca Warner said, =93What a great way to start your day.=94
Fire crews said a worker spilled formaldehyde in the building on Thursday morning.

us_il: Care man arrested following chemical explosion
A Clare man's visit to the hospital landed him in hot water.

Andrew J. Radar, 39, 25020 Clare Road, Clare, went to Kishwaukee Community Hospital early in the morning March 8 with severe burns on his face and arms. Hospital personnel contacted the DeKalb County Sheriff's Office, which investigated.

Police learned Radar had been cooking some type of chemical inside his residence. Deputies, with the assistance of the Sycamore Fire Department, checked the residence and the status of Radar's three children, all juveniles.

After securing a search warrant, police found several different types of chemicals used to launch model rockets. Radar was cooking those chemicals on the stovetop at the time of the explosion. The Kane County Bomb Squad, along with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, assisted with properly disposing of these items.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.