Links to details available at
us_az: West Valley fitness club evacuated after
GOODYEAR, AZ -- A west
Valley fitness center was evacuated late Tuesday morning after several
people were overcome by chemical fumes.
Braden of the Goodyear Fire Department said at least three employees
were overcome and suffered other injures when the chlorine they were
pouring into a system that fed to a jacuzzi built up pressure and
splashed back on them.
The incident happened around 11:15 a.m. at the
facility located at 145th Avenue and McDowell Road.
said one employee was transported to St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix
with facial injuries and two other employees were taken to a local
hospital with injuries to the lower part of their body.
people complained of respiratory issues, but were not transported,
Indonesia: Chemical substances cause of Swallow
JAKARTA: Kalideres Police
have suspected chemical substances as the cause of a huge fire that
razed Swallow sandal factory and claimed four lives on March
The Kalideres chief detective Second Insp. Herru Y.S.
said that the suspicion was based on testimonies from employees and the
owner of PT Sinar Jaya Perkasa, sandal producer, in Tegal Alur of West
Quoting the testimonies,
told kompas.com that the witnesses had
seen chemical material had suddenly caused the fire to spread to other
parts of the building.
He added that a forensic laboratory from the National
Police had reconstructed the incident but had not found the cause, the
result pending samples of burned chemical substance.
us Hazmat Survival Tips: Scare at
Abandoned General Store - Fire Engineering
One afternoon, while executing a search warrant in a
rural area, federal and state law enforcement officials made a
surprising discovery. During their efforts to find stolen weapons
thought to be hidden in a residence and other outbuildings located on
several acres, they instead found what appeared to be a large number of
chemicals stored in a building that had once served as a local general
store. In addition to the unkempt nature of the storage and an
accumulation of trash inside, the officers noticed labels on some of the
containers indicating the presence of various hazard classes that
included explosives and oxidizers. There were numerous other containers,
many consisting of small plastic tubs, and most were unmarked. After a
brief survey of the scene during which no weapons were visible, police
officers left the building and notified the local fire department and
state hazardous materials team.
us_il: Explosion at Tuscola Chemical Plant
There was an explosion at the Lyondell Plant off Route
36. It happened before 9 AM. The company makes ethanol and other
woke people up out of bed. Witnesses say they were expecting a
all this roaring, like a freight train you know. And this huge big ball
of fire," said Donna Kilburn.
working at her desk right across the street when she saw and heard the
sounds like an earthquake. Things falling, windows rumbling," she
looked across the street to see a stack on fire, with black smoke
billowing toward the sky.
started opening the door and backtracking. I was gonna go hide behind
the building. it was that scared," she said.
Firefighters rushed to teh scene of the explosion. Witnesses
watched, scared for the workers inside.
us_pa: Chemical Spill Reported In Jefferson
According to Allegheny
County officials, an emulsifier spill required cleanup on Monday
Officials told Channel 4
Action News that hazardous materials crews are not at the scene in the
1100 block of Glasshouse Road.
fire companies and Marathon Oil are assisting with the
The spill came from a
holding tank at a processing facility and was first reported shortly
after 5 a.m.
Officials said about 1,000
gallons of a water-based emulsion product comprised of water, soap and
hydrochloric acid leaked from a storage tank. Dispatchers say the leak
has been located and fixed, and that a contractor is working with
Marathon officials to clean up the mess.
us_az: Lifecare Center of Yuma evacuated
The threat was a chemical powder discharged from three
fire extinguishers that Lifecare staff used to extinguish a fire that
had broken out in a fire alarm panel, said Steve Irr, battalion chief.
The fire itself was not a threat because it was immediately
extinguished, but the chemical is a very fine, dusty powder that, once
airborne, became a real threat to the residents, he
us: The Safety Zone | CENtral
C&EN Safety Zone
us_tx: Opinion: Residents need to be
careful when working with chemicals
all dismayed this past week after a fatal accident at a construction
site at Teen Challenge. The terrible accident should serve enough notice
to all of us to be careful when handling and working with noxious and
However, we would like to extend another warning just
in case this one didn't leave the proper impact. We want to thank
Midland's Fire Department for spreading the word. Our public needs to be
fully aware of the dangers involved with working with chemicals. It
really is a matter of life and death.
Teen Challenge work site, one was left dead and three others injured
when the victims were overcome by the fumes of the chemical they were
working with. This tragedy saddened us all, but we must learn the lesson
that comes from such horror. These were professionals in the course of
their work, so that means amateurs working on home projects will have to
be doubly careful.