Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 09:03:43 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Secretary ACS DCHAS <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at

us_il: HazMat Called To Saint Elizabeth Hospital
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) =E2=80=95 

A HazMat team is on the scene of a compressed oxygen leak at Saint Elizabeth Hospital Thursday afternoon. 

A Level 1 HazMat team was called about 2:30 p.m. Thursday to 1431 N. Claremont Ave., Fire Media Affairs Director Larry Langford said. 

The precautionary call was for a possible leak to the compressed oxygen tank to a tank outside in the parking lot of Saint Elizabeth Hospital, Langford said. 

No injuries have been reported and no buildings are being evacuated, Langford said.

us_ks: Mercury Spill Hits Fire-Damaged Apartments
Topeka (WIBW) - A hazmat team was called Thursday to the scene of a Tuesday house fire.

Authorities say a mercury spill brought them back to 735 SW Filmore.

It happened in the basement of the apartment home. A mechanics tool that reportedly broke during the fire is likely to blame.

The hazmat team checked the building for further mercury contamination. They also checked the occupants' cars to make sure they had not spread the mercury to other locations.

The building's owner must now hire a private contractor to clean up the spill, but Topeka Fire Department Division Chief Jack Collie says the mercury is not at dangerous levels.

Collie also says the spill is not a threat to neighbors.

us_wa: Hazmat crew finds 'poisonous' substance in Shoreline home
A Seattle Fire hazardous materials crew was dispatched to Shoreline shortly before 1:30 p.m. after a white powdery substance and a threatening note were reportedly found in a home at 17010 Dayton Ave. N.

Shoreline Fire spokeswoman Melanie Granfors said the hazmat crew found a "toxic, poisonous substance," but would not identify the powder. The hazmat crew had not removed the substance as of 3 p.m.

A construction crew cleaning out the recently vacated property was not harmed by the substance, Granfors said. But an official on scene briefed the workers on symptoms to look for from the substance.

The owner of the house told photographer Joshua Trujillo that the former resident had recently been asked to move out and may have left the note and substance behind.
us_wa home unknown_chemical response

us_sc: Unstable, explosive chemicals removed from Voorhees College
DENMARK, SC (WIS) - A hazardous materials team had to remove 18 canisters of an explosive chemical from Voorhees College, Denmark Fire Department officials said Thursday.

"It's flammable, highly flammable, that's what's scary about ether," National Environmental Management Service worker Fred Ungaretta said about Diethyl Ether. "It's more flammable than gasoline."

On Thursday, Ungaretta neutralized 18 canisters full of the chemical at Voorhees College in Denmark. He said the chemical has a one-year shelf life. DHEC believes the Canisters full of the chemical were 25 years old.

"Over time it forms peroxides which are very unstable," said Ungaretta. "Just turning the cap could cause it to explode."

Ungaretta specializes in removing dangerous chemicals from college campuses. It only took him an hour to do it.

Breland evacuated a daycare near by the college for safety precautions, but some schools were still in session.

us_ga: Chemical fire leaves questions 
Some of the Jackson County volunteer firefighters who pulled up to the inferno at H. Wilson Manufacturing Co. chemical plant last weekend had no idea what kind of fire they were facing or what kind of flammable material was inside the building.
...It also forced firefighters to evacuate 25 families from their homes the middle of the night in case the smoke coming from the chemical plant proved toxic.
"Any company that has a significant quantity of chemicals in the building is supposed to let us know," Nichols said. "That way we know there's something in there before we get there."
H. Wilson Manufacturing never filed that paperwork, according to the state Environmental Protection Division.
The company never had enough chemicals on hand at one time to require filing, said owner David Wilson.

Something started a blaze in the plant's wet chemical building, which makes veterinary additives for poultry feed, disinfectants used in chicken houses and other products.

us_mi: No serious injuries reported in chemical explosion at Lakeland Elementary School

HAMBURG TWP - Hamburg Police responded to a report of a chemical explosion shortly after 11 a.m. on Thursday at Lakeland Elementary School, 9501 Pettys Drive, in Hamburg Township. Preliminary reports indicate seven injuries at the K-4 school, which is part of the Pinckney Community Schools.

School officials said paramedics were called to Lakeland Elementary School as a precaution when a test tube broke during a chemistry day experiment in a fourth grade class.

He said a high school girl was demonstrating an experiment when a test tube burst, and the chemical spilled on the girl and some of the elementary students. According to one of the students in the class, the experimenter was mixing gummy bears with a chemical to make them "dance." All of the students involved were wearing proper goggles and safety garments, and the six fourth-graders and one high-school student suffered only minor abrasions and were treated on scene, according to Hamburg Police Chief, Steve Luciano.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.