Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 07:19:57 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Ralph Stuart <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

US_OK: CHEMICAL ACCIDENT SICKENS WORKERS, article.aspx?subjectid=11&amp;articleid=20100605_11_A13_ESeisl9724 08

Corrosive chemicals affected more than a dozen people at a trucking company Friday morning when an industrial solvent spilled during transport. 

Authorities cordoned off part of the Old Dominion Freight Line facility at 2921 Dawson Road after a punctured 55-gallon drum of chloromethyl naphtalene spewed dangerous vapors, Fire Department spokesman Bill French said. 

Emergency crews responded shortly before 10 a.m. and decontaminated 15 workers. Medics took nine of them to hospitals. The worst of the injuries was suffered by a 46-year-old man who was taken to St. John Medical Center in fair condition, according to authorities. 

Although most of the other employees had only minor exposure, even slight chemical contact is potentially dangerous, French said. 

"Any time you get any kind of corrosive or acid into your system it can easily cause =97 because of the soft tissue inside your respiratory system =97 it can potentially cause some serious problems," he said. 

The workers stripped off their clothes in a blue decontamination tent outside the building, and firefighters doused them with soapy water to remove any chemical residue.


< div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 12px/normal Helvetica; min-height: 14px; ">
(ABC 6 NEWS) -- The Rochester Fire Department's Hazmat team responded to a home that became toxic after the resident tried to unclog a sink drain using, what seemed like simple household chemicals.

But what happened is becoming more common for fire crews.

David Hunter's trailer in southeast Rochester is airing out, after a toxic combination of chemicals forced him and his family to evacuate Thursday evening.

"I poured liquid plumber down the drain, two hours later I poured Runo down the drain and two hours later I poured another bottle of liquid plumber," says Hunter.

And that created a chemical so toxic, that even he didn't want us to go inside more than 12 hours later.

"It bubbled up started smoking and burning my eyes and I couldn't breathe so I got out of the house," says Hunter.

The Rochester Fire Department's Hazmat team responded.

But, Chief Steven Belau says these calls are more common than you think.

"About once a month," he says.

We had Chief Belau demonstrate what can happen when acetic acid and sodium bicarbonate, both commonly used in household cleaners, are mixed together.

"You'll be able to see a chemical reaction as the two combine," he says.

Although this combination isn't toxic, it is poisonous.

"Anytime you mix an ammonia-based product with a bleach or an acid you get a bad chemical reaction...scratchy throat irritated eyes if you're exposed for too long you can develop something called Pulmonary Edema which is where the little air sacks in the lungs lead fluid and it causes trouble breathing," he says.

A lesson, David Hunter learned the hard way.

"Don't mix two chemicals, use a product by itself and use it according to the label," says Capt. Ken Dose of the Rochester Fire Department.

Fire officials say if you accidentally combine chemicals and it creates a toxic reaction, you need to leave that area and call 911.


US_OK: CHEMICAL LEAK SENDS 9 PEOPLE TO HOSPITAL, story/Chemical-Leak-Sends-9-People-To-Hospital/OvOM31htqE6fNKmp6PUNSw.cspx

A 46-year-old man directly exposed to a corrosive chemical has been treated and released from the hospital.
Tulsa Fire Department Hazmat crews contained a chemical leak that sent nine workers to the hospital.

The leak happened around 10 a.m. at Old Dominion Freight Line in the 2900 block of Dawson Road in North Tulsa.

FOX23=92s Abbie Alford was the first on the scene to report the danger the chemical, Chloromethyl Naphatalene can pose to a person.

A 55-gallon drum filled with the corrosive chemical to clean industrial materials exposed 15 employees to the dangerous fumes.

The chemicals seeped from a hole in a drum that the TFD says was punctured while it was being transported to Old Dominion Freight Line Friday morning.

"Instead of doing something safer with it, they basically turned it over on its side and let the exposed hole up in the air," says TFD District Chief Bill French.

The exposure sent a 46-year-old man immediately to the hospital and eight other were also de-contaminated before going to the hospital.

EMSA says the remaining workers refused hospital treatment.

"With this particular chemical some of the signs were not even present for the first 15 to 20 minutes," says EMSA Paramedic Chris Stevens.


US_AZ: SUSPECTED METH LAB FIRE DESTROYS HOME, ted_meth_lab_fire_destroys_home_06042010

NEW RIVER - Fighting smoke and flames is hazardous enough, but when that smoke is filled with toxic chemicals, the job gets more dangerous.

What fueled a fire in New River near 7th Street and Desert Hills had firefighters concerned from the get-go.

They told FOX 10 that chemicals from a suspected meth lab triggered several explosions -- another example of the dangers firefighters face when they arrive on a scene.

Later, the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office determined the home was not a suspected meth lab, but that the explosions were spurred by something else still being investigated.

Toxic smoke from the chemicals got into the lungs of two firefighters. They were taken to an area hospital.

Crews decided it was too dangerous to fight the blaze any further, so the backed off and let it burn.

Cindy Cherry, who lives miles away from the scene, called 911. She said she could hear explosions coming from the home and watched how fast it went up in flames, and it taught her a lesson.



BROOKSVILLE - A leaking bottle of polish under a sink caused 12 Central High School ROTC students to get sick Friday.

One teacher also was taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion, firefighters said.

Hernando County Fire Rescue was called shortly before 10 a.m. for a suspicious gas leak, according to scanner reports.

Paramedics took the students to local hospitals after they complained of nausea and vomiting.

Normal school operations resumed an hour later after a HazMat unit determined the source of the leak and isolated the building, said Lt. Cinda Moore, a spokeswoman with the Hernando County Sheriff's Office.

The only chemicals known to be stored in the building are cleaning supplies, said Assistant Chief Frank DeFrancesco, a fire rescue spokesman.

"It was a container of polish with bleach in it and some of it leaked out under the sink," he said. "Whatever was residual there on the surface under the sink mixed with it and it caused a reaction. That's what we think happened."

Principal Joe Clifford said shortly before noon everything was back to normal at the school. Both he and Superintendent Bryan Blavatt were angry about initial media reports classifying it as a gas leak.


Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.