Links to details available at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas
About 1,500 gallons of diesel fuel spilled Tuesday
from a punctured tanker car in Salt Lake City.
Pacific Spokesman Aaron Hunt said that at about 9:50 a.m., a remote
control engine derailed from the UP=E2=80=99s Warm Springs switching
yard, near 800 North and 500 West. A fuel tanker was punctured and began
No injuries had been reported. Hunt said no waterways
were impacted, and responders removed fuel from the tank as well as some
of the fuel that leaked.
Hunt said the spilled fuel was vacuumed up and
contaminated soil removed, so no long-term problems were
crews and emergency responders responded to the 300 block of
Shrobs Hill rd. in West Manheim township around nine Tuesday for a
vehicle fire involving a chemical reaction.
say the Maryland company van contained pool chemicals that somehow
combusted. It was parked in one resident's driveway.
responders extinguished the fire, but the chemical reaction forced them
to evacuate near by homes.
No one was
injured and people will likely be able to go back home tonight.
have been reports of several illnesses at the Haysville City Pool on
Sarah Lane during a National Night Out celebration.
reports indicate a chlorine leak may be the cause.
crews, hazmat and ambulances are responding to assess several possible
Ambulances are transporting two people to the hospital
with potentially serious injuries.
KAKE News has a crew on the
way and will bring updates as soon as they are
A kerosene spill at the city bus terminal Monday night
forced firefighters to build a dike where Cross Creek empties into the
Cape Fear River.
Battalion Commander Calvin Bishop with the
Fayetteville Fire Department said city hazmat crews responded to reports
of a fuel spill at 455 Grove St. just before 9:30 p.m.
11:30 p.m., Bishop said more than 760 gallons of kerosene had spilled
from a malfunctioning fuel pump at the Fayetteville Area System of
Transit's refueling terminal.
Kerosene is used to fuel some of the newer buses in
the fleet, Bishop said.
Texas Tech investigators
have linked a Jan. 7 laboratory explosion that severely injured a
doctoral candidate to 20 surrounding violations of the university=E2=80=99
s safety policy, according to documents released
University officials ordered the probe after a highly
explosive chemical combusted in 29-year-old Preston Brown=E2=80=99s
hands, sending him to University Medical Center with three severed
fingers and a perforated eye.
In their April report to administrators, investigators
concluded the chemistry department had failed to meet some 20 safety
standards outlined in the university=E2=80=99s Chemical Hygiene Plan, or
lab safety manual.
Only a handful of the these violations played a direct
role in the incident, but the breadth and severity of the infractions
alarmed Tech=E2=80=99s administrators and prompted a complete overhaul
of the university=E2=80=99s safety standards.
Eighmy, Tech=E2=80=99s vice president for research, said the university
has corrected the mistakes at all of Tech=E2=80=99s labs. His office is
also forming a permanent safety committee with university-wide
"A lot has happened since the accident, in
that department and across campus, around our working towards being very
compliant toward all of our safety protocols,=" Eighmy said.
"It=E2=80=99s a continuous, ongoing process to remain
SPILL SHUTS DOWN POPULAR KELOWNA BEACHES, http://www.theprovince.com/news/Chemic
Kelowna beaches will remain closed at least until Wednesday following a
chemical spill into Okanagan Lake.
Water used to fight a
warehouse blaze Saturday night mixed with chemicals in the building and
flowed into nearby Mill Creek, which runs through
The building housed a welding shop and a turf
The next morning, residents reported Mill Creek, a
spawning habitat, was green and foul-smelling.
officials closed both Hot Sands Beach in City Park to the north of the
mouth of the creek and Lake Avenue Beach to the south. Other beaches
Tests of the creek water Sunday showed the presence of
nitrates, often used in fertilizer.
Swimming in Okanagan Lake is
not recommended for 500 metres north and south of the mouth of Mill
Creek, which enters the lake to the south of Bennett Bridge, castanet.
net reported Monday.
PITTSBURGH (AP) =E2=80=95 Officials say a chemical
spilled inside a delivery truck as it arrived at a western Pennsylvania
laboratory, sending the driver to the hospital.
David Anna says the truck apparently hit a bump just inside the
Department of Energy's National Energy Technology Laboratory near
Pittsburgh at about 1:45 p.m. He says a drum of acrylic acid tipped
over, spilling less than a gallon of the material, which was not
intended for the laboratory.
Anna says the driver reported some breathing problems
and dizziness and was checked out at a hospital and then returned to the
site. Anna says the spill was confined to the truck, and Altoona-based
Ward Trucking Company will remove the drum. Laboratory and county
hazardous materials team and local firefighters
COUNTY, NC (WECT) - The State Hazmat Team and Bladen County officials
were on the scene of a head on collision in Bladen County, near the
Cumberland County border off NC 87 Monday morning.
to officials with the North Carolina Emergency Management Team, two
tractor trailers collided early Monday morning. One of those trailers
was carrying 7,000 gallons of Methanol Gas and the gas was leaking
between five to seven gallons a minute.
Emergency Management Director Bradley Kinlaw said that about 6,000
gallons of Methanol has leaked out at this point. Cleanup crews
were on the scene to maintain the spill.
EL PASO -
A chain reaction crash involving five cars and two tractor-trailer
trucks backed up traffic on I-10 East this afternoon.
The crash occurred about 2:30 today on I-10 East near
Cotton. One of the tractor-trailer trucks spilled a load of car
batteries, slowing the cleanup.
- A 29-year-old man was severely burned Sunday evening after attempting
to rid his property of a beehive, police said.
unidentified victim, of Cardinal Lane, poured several chemicals on the
hive, which was outside the residence, said Westwood Police Chief Frank
"The chemicals reacted...and he was set on fire,"
A neighbor tried to extinguish the flames, Regino
said. A 911 emergency call came into police at 8:13 p.m., and the man,
who was severely burned, was airlifted from a field in nearby Washington
Township and taken to St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston. The
house did not catch fire, Regino said.
Idaho-- Thick smoke billowing from a fire at Micron Technology shut down
part of 1-84 Monday morning.
Crews rushed to the
scene. They found the fire burned through the heating and cooling
system on top of a building that helps support the company's development
of solar panels. Some workers were evacuated as a precaution,
luckily no one was injured.
It took firefighters about half and hour to put out
the flames. They had to shut down electricity tot he site, to make
sure the problem wouldn't spread to high voltage lines in the
area. The exact cause of the fire is still under
Micron doesn't expect the incident to disrupt any
ongoing business. This is the second fire at Micron over the past
few months. The first happened back in May.
It was a
flash fire that broke out after a chemical reaction in one of the mix
stations. One employee was injured in that fire, several
first responders were treated for chemical exposure.
div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;
margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 12px/normal Helvetica;
min-height: 14px; ">