Links to details available at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas
Two police officers and a maintenance worker were taken to the hospital
Thursday after a homemade "bug bomb" was set off inside a Plainville
Police were called to the
Village Green apartment complex on Messenger Street in Plainville at
about 1 p.m. Thursday on a report of smoke coming from an apartment,
Wicked Local Plainville reported.
men were taken to the hospital as a precaution after inhaling smoke from
what authorities have learned was a homemade "bug bomb," the paper
The resident, who was not at
home, said she got the device from someone who got it from someone else,
the paper reported.
was not immediately clear what chemicals the device contained, a hazmat
crew was called to the scene.
COVINGTON, KY (FOX19) - HazMat crews were called to a fire at
a chemical plant Thursday afternoon.
Flames broke out around 1
p.m. at Iofina Chemical Inc. on Mary Laidley Drive.
Dispatchers say it was a small fire that was knocked down
quickly, but HazMat crews were called as a precaution.
injures were reported. The Iofina Chemical plant, and employees of
a nearby animal shelter were evacuated as a precaution.
GILBERT, AZ - Crews worked for several
hours Thursday night to clear the scene after a three-vehicle
accident in Gilbert sent a teen to the hospital.
Fire Department spokesman Mike Connor said crews were called to the
wreck near Germann Road and Val Vista Drive around 6:30
Connor said four of five patients evaluated at the
scene were released. A 17-year-old boy reportedly suffered head injuries
and a loss of consciousness and was airlifted to Scottsdale
Healthcare-Osborn. His current condition is unknown.
team was dispatched to the scene after a pickup truck involved in the
accident rolled over, spilling pool chemicals onto the
INJURIES OCCUR AFTER STUDENT KNOCKS OVER PRESERVATION FLUID |
spill in the science laboratory at Saunders Middle School in Manassas on
Thursday morning forced the evacuation of two classes and sent three
staff members to Potomac Hospital as a precaution, according to Prince
William County School officials.
At around 9 a.m., students
were preparing experiments when a student bumped into a jar containing
=93a chemical to preserve [animal] specimens,=94 said Middle School
Associate Superintendent Pat Puttre.
precaution, those students as well as those in an adjacent room were
sent to another classroom while members of the Prince William Fire
& Rescue Hazmat team addressed the situation.
As of 11
a.m., the initial cleanup was done. School officials have an outside
environmental cleaning agency on the way for a further investigation and
COVINGTON, Ky. -- Hazardous
materials crews were called Thursday afternoon to a fire at a Covington
The initial call came just
after noon from Iofina Chemical on Mary Laidley Drive, where
investigators said a small amount of trichloromelamine
The chemical comes in tablet
or pill form and is ground up to use as a sanitizer.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, but
officials were concerned that chlorine gas or hydrogen chloride would be
released into the air.
sits atop a hill, and officials worried that the gas would be dispersed
by the wind and cause air quality problems for nearby
However, no harmful gas was
released by the fire, investigators said.
COUNCIL staff turning on a central heating system at
an office in Nailsea for the first time since last winter sparked a
major emergency operation.
Fire, police and paramedics rushed to Somerset Square
at just after 3.30pm yesterday after staff working in a council building
at the rear of the town's library reported a strange, chemical smell in
a third-floor office.
Five people were in the office at the time, all of
whom were evacuated on the advice of emergency crews.
of people in the nearby library were also evacuated and a 100ft cordon
was put around the building while fire crews went
Fire crews from Nailsea, Avonmouth and Clevedon plus
the Avon Fire and Rescue environmental response unit from Brislington -
a total of around 20 firefighters - attended the
The office is used by the council's sports development
and active lifestyles team.
Five members of staff - three men and two women -
were in the office when they noticed the strange smell.
and Rescue said they believed the smell had come from the central
heating system - which had been turned on yesterday by staff for the
first time since last winter.
The University of Minnesota evacuated a building
Wednesday evening after a chemical spill sent two students to the
hospital for observation.
University officials hoped to reopen the Phillips
Wangensteen Building on Thursday once a hazardous material response team
had cleaned up the spill.
Two students working with the chemical pyridine in a
seventh-floor lab reported the spill about 6 p.m. Wednesday, Minneapolis
Fire Battalion Chief Mike Carswell said. The students apparently were
moving the toxic, highly flammable chemical when 2 to 4 liters spilled
in the doorway, spreading into the lab and the hall.
liquid had spilled only in the lab, the fumes would have been vented
outside, said Neil Carlson, university health and safety industrial
hygienist. But because the spill entered the hall, emergency crews were
concerned it could be carried to the rest of the building, prompting
them to immediately evacuate the building's sixth, seventh and eighth
floors. The rest of the building, which contains classrooms and labs,
was evacuated as hazardous material crews came to clean up the
The students, who suffered no apparent injuries,
immediately covered the spill with dry material to contain it and the
vapors, Carswell said. As a precaution, the students were taken to a
decontamination van, where they showered. They were later hospitalized
Pyridine can irritate skin and the vapors can cause
nausea and headaches, Carlson said.
and EMS is reporting that one person was exposed to spilled acid at the
D.C. Water Sewage Treatment Station in Southeast.
worker was being evaluated at the station at 125 O Street for possible
The acid spill is said to be contained to the loading
div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;
margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 12px/normal Helvetica;
min-height: 14px; ">
crews responded to a hazardous material incident at the Western Placer
Waste Management Authority Regional Sanitary Landfill and Material
Recovery Facility (MRF) in Roseville this afternoon.
incident began about 12:30 when two employees of the facility came into
contact with an unknown substance while working on a conveyor belt in
the recycling area of the MRF. The employees experienced skin irritation
and watering eyes and were transported by ambulance to the Sutter
Regional Medical Facility in Roseville for precautionary
Nortech, the company that operates the facility for
the Waste Management Authority, evacuated the building. Emergency crews
responded and the building was opened up and ventilated, or dry
decontaminated. Crews conducted air testing in the building and nothing
unusual was detected. Additionally, testing of the building detected
nothing unusual in the waste in the building.
CHARLESTON -- A multi-million dollar lawsuit alleges a third
death can be attributed to a 2008 explosion at a Charleston-area
The Bayer Corporation and West Virginia State
University are named as co-defendants in a wrongful death lawsuit filed
Sept. 16 by Mt. Hope resident Portia Gray. In her Kanawha Circuit Court
complaint, Gray alleges her son, Ra'Sean, died weeks after breathing the
fallout left in his dormitory room from a 2008 explosion at Bayer's
The suit is the first to be filed against Bayer
relating to the explosion that resulted in the deaths of two of its
It's been two months since the explosion and fire at
the J&J Chemical factory off Olympic Drive. Clean-up efforts in
nearby Trail Creek continue, with a company contracted by J&J
working to get the last of the chemical contaminants out of the creek on
Athens' east side. Chemical runoff from the company that made toilet
bowl disinfectants killed an estimated 15,000 fish.
CRIME TRACKER: SYRACUSE COPS
BATTLING BOTTLE BOMBS - ABC 4.COM - SALT
LAKE CITY, UTAH NEWS, http://www.abc4.com/content/
SYRACUSE, Utah (ABC 4 News) - What appears to have
started out as a teen aged prank has blown up into a full scale felony
case of bomb-making in this Utah bedroom community.
With a few household items -- a plastic soda op
bottle, a roll of aluminum foil and a popular household cleaner -- kids
are building bombs that make the old cherry bombs look like firecrackers
and can blow off an arm.
call them "bottle bombs," "cleaner bombs," or "works bombs," after the
brand of cleaner used to make them. Public safety officials call them
been reports of explosions that will actually break bones and take
fingers off," says Syracuse Fire Captain Kyle Nance.
You can watch people - mostly teen aged boys -
injure themselves, playing with these homemade
While most amateur
pyro-technicians walk away without losing a limb, most of them seem
completely unaware of the danger of the smoky residue after each blast,
and walk or stand in it. They too are suffering injury from these