From: "Secretary, ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety" <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Chemical Safety headlines from Google (7 articles)
Date: June 27, 2012 7:56:06 AM EDT
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: <544465B6-4D3C-44F2-89DB-321B05A0D7F6**At_Symbol_Here**dchas.org>

Chemical Safety Headlines From Google
Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:55:49 AM

A service of the ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety
Connecting Chemistry and Safety at http://www.dchas.org
All article summaries and tags are archived at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas

Table of Contents (7 articles)

KOKEE ROAD CLOSED AFTER FUEL TANKER FLIPS OVER
Tags: us_HI, transportation, release, response, jet_fuel

TRAILER DRIVER FERRYING ACID PREVENTS DISASTER
Tags: Malaysia, transportation, release, response, sulfuric_acid

METH LAB CHEMICALS SPARK EXPLOSION IN COLUMBUS
Tags: us_IN, public, explosion, response, ammonia, meth_lab

EXPLOSION INJURES MILLERSVILLE UNIVERSITY STUDENT
Tags: us_PA, laboratory, explosion, injury, acids

LATEST NEWS HEADLINES FROM CAMBRIDGE CITY & CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Tags: United_Kingdom, laboratory, fire, response, solvent

TWO SAWS WORKERS HOSPITALIZED AFTER CHLORINE LEAK
Tags: us_TX, industrial, release, injury, chlorine

CHEMICAL REACTION TEMPORARILY CLOSES SHREWSBURY BUSINESS
Tags: us_MA, industrial, release, response, acids


---------------------------------------------

KOKEE ROAD CLOSED AFTER FUEL TANKER FLIPS OVER
http://www.khon2.com/news/local/story/Kokee-Road-closed-after-fuel-tanker-flips-over/OMXgs_nFG0WCBzTA5xIt9g.cspx
Tags: us_HI, transportation, release, response, jet_fuel

A fuel tanker carrying jet fuel flipped on its side and spilled fuel on Kokee Road near Kekaha Road junction on Kauai.

Police have closed Kokee Road through at least Wednesday morning.
Traffic is being diverted to Waimea Canyon Drive.

The Kauai HAZMAT team responded to the scene and placed absorbent materials to assist in the clean-up and help to suppress fumes. Bradley Pacific, the company that owns the tanker, is working with the Department of Health to manage the clean-up.

---------------------------------------------

TRAILER DRIVER FERRYING ACID PREVENTS DISASTER
http://www.nst.com.my/nation/general/trailer-driver-ferrying-acid-prevents-disaster-1.98567
Tags: Malaysia, transportation, release, response, sulfuric_acid

SEREMBAN: A trailer driver helped prevent a disaster when he noticed that the sulphuric acid he was transporting had leaked onto the middle tyres of the vehicle.

Hazmat personnel removing canisters of sulphuric acid from the trailer at Km259 of the North-South Expressway near the Port Dickson toll plaza.

S. Saravana Kumar, 32, said he had earlier felt a dryness in his throat.
Based on the training he had undergone to transport hazardous material, he suspected there was a leak.
He, along with his assistant, S. Thiagaraja, 32, were transporting the sulphuric acid from Singapore to the Kulim Technology Park in Kedah when the incident occurred at 7.30pm on Monday.
"I had just left the Pedas rest area when I felt my throat getting unusually dry.
"I decided to stop at Km259 of the North-South Expressway near the Port Dickson toll plaza.
"Upon checking the trailer, I noticed there was a leak in the middle and the acid had spilt onto the tyres. During my training, I was told to contact the authorities if there was any untoward incident.
"I immediately called the Fire and Rescue Department," he said at the scene.
Senior head of operations for the Seremban 2 Fire and Rescue Department, Sabarudin Ahmad, said two engines from the Seremban 2 and Senawang stations rushed to the scene, along with a hazardous materials unit (Hazmat) involving 21 personnel.

---------------------------------------------

METH LAB CHEMICALS SPARK EXPLOSION IN COLUMBUS
http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/crime/meth-lab-chemicals-spark-explosion-in-columbus
Tags: us_IN, public, explosion, response, ammonia, meth_lab

COLUMBUS, Ind. (WISH) - Columbus police are blaming an illegal meth making operation ffor an explosion inside a pickup truck that closed a neighborhood street for hours Monday night.

24-Hour News 8 news partner The Republic of Columbus reports the explosion was reported shortly before 6 p.m. Monday in the 100 block of South Brooks Street.

Patrolwoman Sarah Goins found a truick parked at the home with its windows broken and smoke coming from the interior. She could also smell a strong chemical odor and noted items inside that are used to manufacture methamphetamine, the newspaper reported.

A fire extinguisher altered to carry anhydrous ammonia - a chemical fertilizer used in farming but also to make meth - caused the explosion, police said.

Officers closed the street to traffic for about three hours during the investigation. Investigators think they have identified the truck's owner and are looking for that person.

---------------------------------------------

EXPLOSION INJURES MILLERSVILLE UNIVERSITY STUDENT
http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/677042_Explosion-injures-Millersville-University-student.html
Tags: us_PA, laboratory, explosion, injury, acids

A female student's face was cut Tuesday when a bottle containing chemicals exploded in a laboratory at Millersville University, officials said.
The 10:53 a.m. accident happened during a chemistry class in Caputo Hall, according to university spokeswoman Janet Kacskos.
"A male who had been doing an experiment poured leftover chemicals in a discard jar, which is customary," she said. "Then he put the lid on and walked away, which is not typical."
The three chemicals were acids, Kacskos said.
"Pressure built up and caused the jar to explode while another student was walking by it," she said. "The pressure caused heat and that's what blew it up."
The female student did not suffer chemical burns, as was first thought, Kacskos said. She did suffer a cut to her face from a glass shard.
"She was immediately washed down in the lab," Kacskos said of the student. "She then was washed down in a shower out in the street by Haz-mat."

---------------------------------------------

LATEST NEWS HEADLINES FROM CAMBRIDGE CITY & CAMBRIDGESHIRE
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/Fire-breaks-out-in-Cambridge-University-chemical-lab-27062012.htm
Tags: United_Kingdom, laboratory, fire, response, solvent

A chemical fire broke out in a Cambridge University laboratory forcing staff and students to evacuate.
A reaction between two chemicals when a solvent cupboard was opened, is believed to have started the small fire at the Department of Chemistry in Lensfield Road, Cambridge, shortly after 3pm yesterday.
Witnesses reported the fireproof cupboard door was quickly closed, but the smoke alarm sounded and people made their way out of the building, leaving possessions behind.
Fire crews from Cambridge, St Neots, Cottenham and Sawston attended the site along with a specialist chemical incident unit.

---------------------------------------------

TWO SAWS WORKERS HOSPITALIZED AFTER CHLORINE LEAK
http://www.kens5.com/news/Two-SAWS-workers-hospitalized-after-chlorine-leak-160362455.html
Tags: us_TX, industrial, release, injury, chlorine

SAN ANTONIO -- A chlorine leak on the city's south side has left two San Antonio Water System (SAWS) workers in the hospital.
HAZMAT crews were called to a SAWS plant in 3900 block of Valley Hi to help the workers contain the leak late Monday night.
Authorities said the leak was caused by a broken valve.

---------------------------------------------

CHEMICAL REACTION TEMPORARILY CLOSES SHREWSBURY BUSINESS
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/lifestyle/health/x345283952/Chemical-reaction-temporarily-closes-Shrewsbury-business
Tags: us_MA, industrial, release, response, acids

SHREWSBURY
A Rte. 9 technology company was evacuated yesterday morning after a chemical reaction produced a yellow plume of toxic smoke in the building, fire officials said.

Employees at Tangenx Technology Corp., which creates filtration systems for pharmaceutical companies, were using small quantities of acid to clean the filtration systems when one filter containing a small amount of sulfuric acid was not changed before nitric acid was used in the filter. The reaction caused a cloud of yellow smoke to fill the building, said firefighter Aaron Roy.

"A small amount of the sulfuric acid reacted with the nitric acid and created a vapor cloud," said Roy. "It's a very toxic smoke."

A state hazardous materials team tested the air quality before allowing employees to return yesterday afternoon, Roy said.

Fire Chief Jim Vuona said the reaction was a Tier 1 hazardous materials incident, which is the least dangerous.

No injuries were reported.

---------------------------------------------

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post



The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to secretary@dchas.org.
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.