From: "Secretary, ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety" <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Chemical Safety headlines from Google (8 articles)
Date: December 3, 2012 7:22:01 AM EST
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: <25CC1F88-8527-49CC-9A5B-8BB43FA37EC5**At_Symbol_Here**dchas.org>

Chemical Safety Headlines From Google
Monday, December 3, 2012 7:21:43 AM

A service of the ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety
Connecting Chemistry and Safety at http://www.dchas.org
All article summaries and tags are archived at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas

Table of Contents (8 articles)

WILSON MIDDLE SCHOOL FIRE: PENNSYLVANIA LAW ?DOESN'T SET ?LAB SAFETY STANDARDS
Tags: us_PA, laboratory, follow-up, injury, fire_extinguisher, propanol

FIRST RESPONDERS TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS WITH FIRES THAT INVOLVE DRUG LABS
Tags: us_PA, public, follow-up, response, meth_lab

TRUCK HAULING MEDWASTE IN ACCIDENT
Tags: us_IL, transportation, release, injury, waste

FIRE, EXPLOSIONS REPORTED AT VENTURE CHEMICAL PLANT
Tags: us_TX, industrial, explosion, injury, unknown_chemical

ANIMALS, STAFF NOT INJURED FROM CHEMICAL EXPLOSION AT K-W HUMANE SOCIETY
Tags: Canada, public, explosion, response, peroxide

FREIGHT TRAIN DERAILS, SPILLS CHEMICALS IN PAULSBORO, NJ
Tags: us_NJ, transportation, release, injury, vinyl_chloride

LAB EXPERIMENT SMOKE EVACUATES HUTTO HS
Tags: us_TX, laboratory, fire, response, sodium

FIVE BOTTLES OF NITRIC ACID FOUND AT A MOBILE HOME PARK IN GLENDALE; CAUSING HAZMAT SITUATION
Tags: us_AZ, public, release, response, nitric_acid, waste


---------------------------------------------

WILSON MIDDLE SCHOOL FIRE: PENNSYLVANIA LAW ?DOESN'T SET ?LAB SAFETY STANDARDS
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/12/wilson_middle_school_fire_penn.html
Tags: us_PA, laboratory, follow-up, injury, fire_extinguisher, propanol

Before any students in the Lower Dauphin School District do any science experiments, they are required to take a classroom safety test.

In some cases, they sign a written contract outlining safety procedures.

"In all of our classes we start with science safety instruction. It's a requirement," district spokesman Jim Hazen said. "Despite all of that, accidents happen. Things happen."

An accident in the Carlisle Area School District this week underscored that fact.
On Wednesday, seven students in the Wilson Middle School were hospitalized after a fireball erupted during a chemistry experiment in an eighth-grade classroom. All seven students have been released from the hospital.

The science teacher, James Redington, poured rubbing alcohol into a beaker, then lit it with a flame, Carlisle Fire & Rescue Services Chief John Heberlig said. The teacher grabbed a fire extinguisher and doused the flames, which were contained to a lab table at the back of the classroom.

An investigation continues. Yet the incident brings up questions about what regulations are in place for school districts to follow to ensure students and teachers are safe.

---------------------------------------------

FIRST RESPONDERS TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS WITH FIRES THAT INVOLVE DRUG LABS
http://republicanherald.com/news/first-responders-take-extra-precautions-with-fires-that-involve-drug-labs-1.1410953
Tags: us_PA, public, follow-up, response, meth_lab

No amount of training can prepare firefighters for the special dangers posed by fires at crime scenes, particularly drug operations, but safety is always the highest concern.

County firefighters have faced numerous fires recently that involved drug operations, such as meth labs or pot-growing operations.

The most recent was Wednesday in Port Carbon when an electrical circuit overload at a duplex on Coal Street started a fire that destroyed both homes and left four people homeless.

The fire started just after 6 a.m. at 233 Coal St., a two-story apartment house, and while working to extinguish the flames, firefighters discovered the second floor of that address was a clandestine marijuana growing-operation with more than 75 plants growing in gallon-sized buckets, an irrigation system made up of 55-gallon drums, chemicals, hoses, lights and packaging material like plastic bags.

---------------------------------------------

TRUCK HAULING MEDWASTE IN ACCIDENT
http://www.whbf.com/story/20168947/semi-accident-calls-for-hazmat
Tags: us_IL, transportation, release, injury, waste

An early morning semi accident in Henry county sent hazmat crews to interstate 80.

The semi truck jack-knifed not far from exit 27 off of interstate 80.

Illinois State Police tell us the truck was carrying medical waste and old prescriptions, which is why hazmat was called in.

When we arrived on scene the truck was rolled over in the median.

---------------------------------------------

FIRE, EXPLOSIONS REPORTED AT VENTURE CHEMICAL PLANT
http://www.kcbd.com/story/20235504/fire-explosions-reported-at-venture-chemical-plant-in-terry-county
Tags: us_TX, industrial, explosion, injury, unknown_chemical

TERRY COUNTY, TX (KCBD) -
The Brownfield News reports that a major fire at the Venture Chemical plant in Terry County is coming under control after multiple departments responded Saturday morning.

The Brownfield News says traffic on nearby highways was stopped during the fire and multiple explosions were reported. They say at least one person was injured and taken to Brownfield Regional Medical Center.

---------------------------------------------

ANIMALS, STAFF NOT INJURED FROM CHEMICAL EXPLOSION AT K-W HUMANE SOCIETY
http://www.therecord.com/news/local/article/846789--animals-staff-not-injured-from-chemical-explosion-at-k-w-humane-society
Tags: Canada, public, explosion, response, peroxide

KITCHENER A chemical explosion caused structural damage to a section of the Kitchener-Waterloo Humane Society Saturday morning.

A 45-gallon drum of peroxide either over-pressurized or exploded Saturday morning at the 250 Riverbend Dr. location, said Platoon Chief Steve Zurell who was on scene.
....
Despite the damage to the building, no injuries were reported.

Jack Kinch of the Kitchener-Waterloo Humane Society said signs of the blast were discovered this morning by six staff members arriving for their shift.

He said the explosion occurred in a room used to store cleaning supplies and maintenance items, which also housed the shelter's phone system.

Kinch said the room's cement block walls have been pushed out and the door is bent. But he says the shelter's 200 animals mostly dogs and cats were spared since they're kept in another part of the building.

Engineers were able to secure the structure to allow staff back into the building, Kinch said.

---------------------------------------------

FREIGHT TRAIN DERAILS, SPILLS CHEMICALS IN PAULSBORO, NJ
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/11/30/freight-train-derails-spills-chemicals-in-paulsboro-nj-evacuations-ordered/
Tags: us_NJ, transportation, release, injury, vinyl_chloride

PAULSBORO, NJ (CBS) A freight train derailment resulted in a chemical spill Friday morning in Paulsboro, New Jersey sending dozens of people to area hospitals.

Officials say a Conrail freight train derailed over Mantua Creek at about 7 a.m., leaking a chemical called vinyl chloride. In total, the train had two locomotives and 84 cars. Officials say seven cars were derailed; two on land and five on the bridge with four of those cars going into the creek. One of the derailed cars was compromised. Hazmat crews responded and limited evacuations were ordered.

---------------------------------------------

LAB EXPERIMENT SMOKE EVACUATES HUTTO HS
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/williamson/lab-experiment-smoke-evacuates-hutto-hs
Tags: us_TX, laboratory, fire, response, sodium

HUTTO, Texas (KXAN) - Smoke coming from an experiment in the science lab earlier Friday afternoon spurred an evacuation at Hutto High School.

All students headed to the stadium as fire crews worked to vent the building.

"Just a regular experiment that had some smoke to it that set off our alarms," said Hutto ISD spokeswoman Emily Grobe. "There is not a HAZMAT team here."

The experiment called for a mixture of sodium and water, which created the smoke and caused alarms to go off. School officials said that is standard experiment in a chemistry class.

The evacuation ended around 3 p.m., and the students went back to school.

---------------------------------------------

FIVE BOTTLES OF NITRIC ACID FOUND AT A MOBILE HOME PARK IN GLENDALE; CAUSING HAZMAT SITUATION
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_west_valley/glendale/five-bottles-of-nitric-acid-found-at-a-mobile-home-park-in-glendale-causing-hazmat-situation
Tags: us_AZ, public, release, response, nitric_acid, waste

GLENDALE, AZ - A hazmat situation broke out Friday afternoon at 65th Avenue and Glendale Ave.

According to Glendale fire, there were five bottles of nitric acid found at a mobile home park.

The 43-year-old property manager smelled the strong, chemical odor and followed it to a dumpster where the containers were located.

He picked up one of the containers and the fumes overwhelmed him, his wife, Linneya Krell, told ABC15.

"He started choking and jumped down to get away from it," she said.

---------------------------------------------


Ralph Stuart
secretary**At_Symbol_Here**dchas.org
Secretary
Division of Chemical Health and Safety
American Chemical Society

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post



The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to secretary@dchas.org.
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.