From: Jeffrey Lewin <jclewin**At_Symbol_Here**MTU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Fwd: [DCHAS-L] New Pitch - Potential Side Effects of Chlorine Dioxide: Your request on chlo...
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:06:33 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: CAEwQnqgusbtifFmn3jLmrrbOwL-+pwp6BvFKL7131A9TiXfgWA**At_Symbol_Here**

I'm leaning toward what Al says. Not to sound preachy, but has your friend had a recent physical and specifically done a parasite evaluation? A quick scan through non-peer reviewed internet discussions suggests the _possibility_ of neurological issues or possibly anemia from long-term exposure. But more relevant, there were several discussions that Aquamira may not be particularly effective on Cryptosporidium (note his complaint of digestive disorders) and/or that the exposure time was long (some claimed up to 4 hours). More telling was the company's own report using an animal model of effectiveness (neo-natal mice infected with Cryptosporidium or Giardia then treated, mice sacrificed then diagnosed for spores). If I'm reading the report correctly they had 100% effectiveness at 25 C. BUT they had 0% at 4C.

And even if 100% effective under normal conditions, using it for 6 months straight would likely present the possibility of occasional under-treatment, or missing a treatment completely (note that one of the selling points is that it doesn't flavor the water...I could see after a long day of hiking sitting down to treating your water, getting distracted with something else, and forgetting you didn't treat it since there is no change in flavor and drinking it). You'll also note that Aquamira, in addition to selling chemical treatments, also sells filters. The filter descriptions SPECIFICALLY list that they filter out Crypto and Giardia. Those claims are noticeably absent from their chemical treatments.


On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Allen Niemi <anniemi**At_Symbol_Here**> wrote:
I have no idea where these hikers get their water but, if it is coming from streams, ponds, open springs, etc., I would be far more inclined to suspect that the treatment process was insufficient than to suspect the treatment chemicals themselves as the source of my problems. Could there be other things in open surface water sources that could make one sick besides some pathogens that may or may not have been completely treated? As Neal pointed out, the average person drinks a lot of phosphoric acid over a lifetime in sodas. How does that compare with the concentration and total quantity that was consumed in the treated water? Did she get an adequate medical diagnosis (I realize some of these problems are not easy to diagnose but is a toxicological description of the treatment chemicals more exact?)? In my opinion that is where her effort should be directed first.


On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Frankie Wood-Black <fwblack**At_Symbol_Here**> wrote:
This is a reporter that is looking for some help on a story - anyone what to contact him? There is a part A and a part B - the part B has phosphoric acid - both MSDSs (SDSs) put out by the company indicate irritation if ingested at large dosages.

I think he needs to have an IH talk with him.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Zach Davis <zachrd99**At_Symbol_Here**>
Date: Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: New Pitch - Potential Side Effects of Chlorine Dioxide: Your request on chlo...
To: fwblack**At_Symbol_Here**

Hey Frank,

I would gladly take you up on your offer to be put in touch with any colleagues you think might be able to help.

One of the most popular water treatment options amongst Appalachian Trail thru-hikers is Aquamira, a chlorine dioxide chemical solution. As you point out, the dose makes the poison- however due to the extreme demands of long-distance backpacking, it's common to ingest between 5-8 liters of water per day. Multiply this times 4-6 months (how long it takes to cover the full distance of the trail). Since my thru-hike in 2011, I have battled severe digestive issues, and I have talked with others (who've used Aquamira) who say the same. If there is any truth to this being unsafe in high volumes, I'd like to help spread the word and prevent future hikers from suffering.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.



On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Frankie Wood-Black <EmailSentBy**At_Symbol_Here**> wrote:

Hello Zach,

Here's another pitch from a HARO source! Hope you find the perfect match for your story.


The Vocus Team


Pitch Title: Your request on chlorine dioxide

Pitch Contents:

You really need to contact the American Chemical Society - they can put
you in touch with the correct person. My recommendation is that you need
to talk with an industrial hygienist as they are more trained in how
chemicals are used/misused and toxicity levels. A chemical toxicologist
is someone else you might talk with. I can put you in touch with a
couple of colleagues of mine that may be able to help. As with most
things it is a matter of dose.

<pre>Frankie Wood-Black, Ph.D., REM, MBA
Principal - Sophic Pursuits
6855 Lake Road
Ponca City, OK 74604

Track and Respond:

Frankie Wood-Black, Ph.D., REM, MBA
Principal - Sophic Pursuits
6855 Lake Road
Ponca City, OK 74604

Allen Niemi, PhD
Occupational Safety and Health Services
Room 322 Lakeshore Center
Michigan Technological University
Phone: 906-487-2118
Fax: 906-487-3048

Jeff Lewin
Departmental Laboratory Supervisor
Biological Sciences
Michigan Technological University

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.