Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands
uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research
university of distinction. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply
for the position of Lab Safety Specialist. This position reports to
the Laboratory Safety and Design Manager and works directly with Boise
State University’s College of Engineering and College of Arts and
Sciences in lab safety support. This will be an “embedded” position
within the colleges and may receive daily input and direction from the
college dean or designee.
Activities will include low hazard lab safety assessments, biosafety,
chemical inventory, chemical and compressed gas ordering, SOP
development and review, decontamination and decommissioning of lab
space, daily laboratory support to student researchers, student clubs
and student projects, and maintenance of the online safety training
system, online safety documentation, emergency response guides and
building emergency information postings.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Work directly in laboratories on a daily basis, interfacing
with students as they perform chemical operations or other activities
that have identified risks. Provide feedback for modifications or
alternate processing conditions to minimize risks. Maintain a real-time
awareness of activities and procedures occurring in laboratories.
- Provide safety analysis and support to student clubs and
student projects, such as senior design projects and service learning
projects. This includes both curriculum based activities and ASBSU
sponsored club activities.
- Work with labs, instructors, and team mentors to research best practices and develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Manage online training needs for labs by inputting new users,
deleting individuals who are no longer part of the lab, adding or
deleting courses when necessary and running training compliance reports.
- Provide training in a group or classroom setting to present safety materials.
- Contribute as member of college safety committees.
- Conduct laboratory inspections for low hazard labs to promote health, safety, and regulatory compliance.
- Complete fume hood certifications for all labs within the COEN
and COAS. Use Dakota Software to input laboratory safety inspections
which allows EHSS to evaluate the program and alert colleges of safety
- Investigate laboratory incidents, assist with Industrial
Hygiene assessments, and coordinate and support waste disposal
activities. Assist with the use of Chematix, the chemical inventory and
hazardous waste program, including annual reconciliation of inventories
and SDS management.
- Act as emergency responder for lab incidents and support
incident follow up. Participate in emergency management planning and
share emergency on-call responsibilities with other staff members.
Suzy Arnette, PhD
Lab Safety and Design Manager
Radiation Safety Officer
Boise State University
Environmental Health, Safety, and Sustainability