Reporting to the Vice President Facilities Management, this position has overall responsibilities for the day-to-day planning, coordination, administration and management of EHS functions for NSU campuses. Additionally is responsible for developing and/or administering policies and procedures, and budgetary decisions.
The EHS department provides safety oversight and compliance assistance to the NSU multi-campus community in various areas including: laboratory/research safety; chemical safety; radiation safety; biological safety; fire/life safety; industrial hygiene; occupational health; and environmental compliance, among others. The purpose of this position is to provide management and oversight for the EHS, programs and personnel.
1. Works closely with the Vice President Facilities Management to coordinate and facilitate work needed for compliance with federal, state and local regulations affecting institutional operations.
2. Promotes, facilitates, and provides expert consultation, direction, and strategic planning for EHS programs in support of both academic and non-academic university functions.
3. Leads, manages, supervises, recruits, mentors, and motivates a dedicated, diverse, and skilled staff.
4. Works collaboratively with administrators, faculty, researchers, staff, and students to ensure institutional operations are conducted safely and in compliance with all applicable EHS laws and regulations.
5. Advises the university community of responsibilities with respect to health, safety and environmental issues and recommending appropriate correction actions.