Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:24:25 -0800
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Jim Quinn <Jim.Quinn**At_Symbol_Here**OREGONMETRO.GOV>
Subject: Re: Unknown Hazardous Chemical
In-Reply-To: <B6B5C68D-2380-445E-94AA-2587494A37DE**At_Symbol_Here**>

d; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space;-webkit-line-break: after-white-space'>

My guess: a pesticide dissolved in a chlorinated solvent. Tr ichlorofluoromethane is a possibility for the solvent, boiling point is 24C and it is used as a solvent in pesticide formulations. If this is correct the solid residue remaining a fter the solvent evaporates would contain the active ingredient and an emulsifyi ng agent.

Jim Quinn

Hazardous Waste Program Manager


600 NE Grand, Portland, OR 97232

503-797-1662, fax: 503-797-1795


Metro | People places. Open spaces.

From: DCHAS-L Discu ssion List [mailto:DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**] On Behalf Of List Moderator
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 9:38 AM
To: DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Unknown Hazardous Chemical
< /p>

From: Andrew Gross <gross.drew**At_Symbol_Here**gmail.c om>

Date: December 28, 2009 12:02:48 PM EST

Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Unknown Hazard ous Chemical

Hi Everyone,

My lab recieved a sample from a power plant that they do not know what

it is and wish to have it identified.  ; I am trying to ID it because

until I have a better idea it is on hold for all testing (read on to< /o:p>

find out why).  I'm hoping for s ome thoughts.

Sample is liquid in appearance, but lighter then di-chloromethane.  I

think it is actually an oil of some kind.  It is transparant yellow

and some say it smells like kerosene.

It forms a white emulsion when mixed with water.

There is no flash point.  On clos ed cup method it flames out below

25C.  It does not ignite when exposed to direct flame.  However it

boils around 27C.

Exposed flame turns green (like copper flame), vapors also turn flame green.

When dried, it turns to a waxy white translucent crystal.  My closed

cup flame is still green meaning it is contaminated by the vapors.< /o:p>

Vapors in small quanteties (under hood) cause nausea, light headedness

and confusion.

pH is 6ish (litmus paper) although client claims it to be caustic.

All PCB analysis came up negative.

The exposure effects are why all tests are on hold till we have a

better idea as to what were dealing with as well as the remaining

tests for my department involve reacting with acid and pumping< /p>

nitrogen through it.

Thoughts, ideas, experiences?  Client has 5 unidentified drums of this

stuff and has no idea what it is.  We need to identify but I am not

going to put anyone in danger until I know more about it.

Andrew Gross

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.