Well - this is just a stab in the dark, but the kerosene sent put me onto this. I found an unlabeled container of an oily yellow liquid and found out from the PI that it was chlordane. Upon researching this, I found that the most common solvent used in the manufacture of the pesticide was kerosene. Clordane in kerosene is emulsifiable, This does not explain the green color or the lack of a flash point.
Information below is from the Hazardous Substance Data Base -
Emulsifiable concentrate. Chlordane may be formulated as an emulsifiable concentrate, using any of the non-phytotoxic solvents of which kerosene is most commonly used, and using nonionic, anionic, and cationic emulsifiers available to the trade.
A) Chlordane may be toxic by inhalation, ingestion, and
dermal or eye exposure. It is a persistent CNS
stimulant. Technical grade chlordane is irritating to
the skin and mucous membranes; however, this may be
more true for the early formulations that contained the
B) General symptoms of chlordane poisoning may include
nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, gastritis,
abdominal pain, anuria, headache, coughing,
excitability, irritability, confusion, delirium, muscle
spasms, dizziness, paresthesia, weakness, ataxia, loss
of coordination, tremor, violent clonic/tonic
convulsions or epileptiform seizures, and pulmonary
edema, followed by CNS depression, coma and death with
From ATSDR - Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
Chlordane is a white powder or a colorless to amber/brown viscous liquid. Chlordane itself is not combustible, but it is often dissolved in solvents
that are flammable. Chlordane has low volatility; however, solid residues can result in contaminated air and inhalation exposure. Odor generally
provides inadequate warning of hazardous concentrations.
Common symptoms of chlordane poisoning include headache, nausea, excitability, confusion, and muscle tremors that may precede convulsions.
List Moderator wrote:
From: Andrew Gross <gross.drew**At_Symbol_Here**gmail.com>Date: December 28, 2009 12:02:48 PM ESTSubject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Unknown Hazardous Chemical
My lab recieved a sample from a power plant that they do not know whatit is and wish to have it identified. I am trying to ID it becauseuntil I have a better idea it is on hold for all testing (read on tofind out why). I'm hoping for some thoughts.
Sample is liquid in appearance, but lighter then di-chloromethane. Ithink it is actually an oil of some kind. It is transparant yellowand some say it smells like kerosene.It forms a white emulsion when mixed with water.There is no flash point. On closed cup method it flames out below25C. It does not ignite when exposed to direct flame. However itboils around 27C.Exposed flame turns green (like copper flame), vapors also turn flame green.When dried, it turns to a waxy white translucent crystal. My closedcup flame is still green meaning it is contaminated by the vapors.Vapors in small quanteties (under hood) cause nausea, light headednessand confusion.pH is 6ish (litmus paper) although client claims it to be caustic.All PCB analysis came up negative.
The exposure effects are why all tests are on hold till we have abetter idea as to what were dealing with as well as the remainingtests for my department involve reacting with acid and pumpingnitrogen through it.
Thoughts, ideas, experiences? Client has 5 unidentified drums of thisstuff and has no idea what it is. We need to identify but I am notgoing to put anyone in danger until I know more about it.
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post