Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:12:36 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at

us_ut: Several Camp Williams employees treated for possible chemical exposure
BLUFFDALE -- Eleven people were taken to the hospital Thursday after being exposed to a potentially hazardous chemical at a Camp Williams building. The cause was determined to come from a leak in the building's heating system.

Unified Fire Authority Capt. Clint Smith says crews responded to a call around 9:30 a.m. after the workers complained of burning throats, headaches, runny noses and watery eyes. The victims, both civilian and military personnel, were taken to Riverton Hospital in private vehicles for decontamination and observation.

The hospital has been open about a year and is the closest to Camp Williams. The incident turned into a real-life exercise for the new hospital.

dom_rep: DR study finds miners ill from chemical, not food - BusinessWeek
More than 340 miners hospitalized last week were exposed to a toxic chemical and did not have food poisoning as alleged by the mining company, according to a university study released Thursday.

Officials recommended that Canadian-based Barrick Gold temporarily suspend operations until the company meets environmental and health standards, according to a report from the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo and the Science Academy of the Dominican Republic.

uk: Teen hairdresser dies in car explosion after her cigarette ignites hair bleach in vehicle
A young hairstylist probably died as a result of her cigarette igniting hydrogen peroxide in her car and engulfing it in flames, her parents said today.

The body of Jennifer Mitchell, 19, a mobile stylist from Shaftesbury, Dorset, was found earlier this month after her Mini caught fire.

Her parents believe the chemical - used for dyeing and bleaching - may have leaked and caused the fatal explosion when she lit up.

Bob Mitchell and wife Pauline are urging others in the profession to take care when carrying around hydrogen peroxide, a common tool of the trade.

Mrs Mitchell told the Bournemouth Echo: "We want to warn people how volatile hydrogen peroxide is, even if it is kept in the boot of a car - Jennie's friends have all said they carry it."

Mr Mitchell, a fireman and BT engineer, added: "The hydrogen peroxide had ventilated in the car. She opened the window, which introduced oxygen.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.