From: Russ Phifer <rphifer**At_Symbol_Here**WCENVIRONMENTAL.COM>
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Two Questions
Date: April 13, 2012 10:38:53 PM EDT
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: <1902256265.888461.1334360383549.JavaMail.root**At_Symbol_Here**>

Marjorie - your staff is allowed to do the packing and moving under the US DOT Materials of Trade exemption. However- all hazardous materials must be packed according to DOT specifications (no cardboard boxes in the back of the minivan), and the proper paperwork must accompany each shipment. That means a hazardous materials bill of lading, with proper shipping name, hazard class, packing group, and DOT number.


You might find it advantageous to at least have a contractor assist with the move since there is still a lot that can go wrong. If you have qualified, trained staff to establish the right hazard class then you might be able to do it yourselves, I suppose. I'd recommend spending some time with 49CFR 172.101 (Column 8, in particular), to make sure everything is packed according to spec. You could most likely use fiber drums or boxes to pack most of the chemicals, commingling by hazard class.




Russ Phifer

WC Environmental, LLC

1085C Andrew Drive

West Chester, PA 19380

610-696-9220x12/ fax 610-344-7519

Cell - 610-322-0657



For the best Online OSHA & DOT Courses,

visit !


P Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail or any other document


From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:dchas-l**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU] On Behalf Of drsamples**At_Symbol_Here**COMCAST.NET
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 7:40 PM
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Two Questions


I have a related question to the chemical transport question. A new science building at a rural college in California is now being finished, so they will have to pack and transport all of the chemicals from the old building to the new building. These would be chemicals that are typical for general first-year inorganic chemistry. Are the faculty and lab tech allowed to do the packing and moving of chemicals themselves or are they required to hire outside specialists? Are there any rules or prudent guidelines to follow in moving and supervising the move?


Thank you,


Marjorie Samples

Los Rios College District

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.