Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 10:53:58 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Ralph Stuart <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at< /div>


SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - An acid spill at a downtown jewelry store prompted evacuations Monday morning.

It happened just before 11 a.m  at the Jewelers Exchange in the 800 block of Sixth Avenue near F Street. Employees were reportedly attempting to transport a container of muriatic acid when it spilled.

Hazmat crews are at the scene, using soda ash to neutralize and absorb the chemical.

At least 25 people in the building were evacuated from the building. One woman was taken to a local hospital for treatment.



SHARON TOWNSHIP -- Officials say the stretch of Beach Road, south of State Route 18 is open this morning, after a tanker truck spilled anhydrous ammonia yesterday.

HAZMAT was on the scene for the clean-up and all homes within a half-mile radius were evacuated. The residents were allowed back in their homes around 1:30 Tuesday morning.

The tanker company, LaGrange, Ohio-based Linden's Anhydrous Service, said the tanker overturned enroute to a drop-off site, killing the driver, 75-year-old Philip Linden.

Linden was taken to Medina General Hospital by the Medina Life Support Team, where he died from his injuries.

Agencies assisting at the accident scene with Ohio State Highway Patrol included EMA, HAZMAT of Medina County, Sharon Fire and Rescue, Granger Fire and Rescue, Wadsworth Fire Department, Medina Township Fire Department, Copley EMS, Bath EMS, and the Red Cross.



DRUMS of chemicals were exploding and flying into the air at a factory fire in Smithfield on Saturday night.

More than 75 firefighters were called in to contain the blaze at an unoccupied factory in Britton St.

Drums of solvents and floor adhesives were exploding as firefighters arrived on the scene shortly after 6pm.

No one was inside the factory when the fire broke.

NSW Fire Brigades commissioner Greg Mullins said flames had leapt more than 30 metres from the roof of the building.

``It=92s a flooring manufacturing place so there are some really volatile chemicals inside,=92=92 he told the Fairfield Advance at the scene.

``What really fuelled the fire was the 200 litre drums of solvents.=92=91

``At this stage the fire has been so intense we have no way of getting in to find out what the cause is.=94

More than ten fire trucks and a HAZMAT unit were called to the blaze that to burned into the early hours of Sunday morning.

Mr Mullins said it was a large contingent for the NSW Fire Brigades.

``Its been a very big response but everyone here has done a fantastic job,=94 he said.

Police are still working to determine the cause of the fire.



A 23-year-old man has been treated in hospital in Aberdeen following a gas leak at a gym.

The incident happened at the David Lloyd club in Aberdeen at about 1500 BST after reports a chlorine tank near the swimming pool had started to leak.

A member of staff was taken to the city's Royal Infirmary for treatment amid concern he had inhaled chemical fumes.

People had to wait for more than two hours before the all clear was given.

A Grampian Police spokesman said: "An exclusion zone around the location was implemented and a large number of members of the public, including members of staff, were evacuated, pending a full assessment by Grampian Fire and Rescue Service."

An initial report into the incident confirmed there was a minor spillage of chemicals within a confined area.



Nearly 20 fire trucks are part of the effort to put out a blaze at a chemical factory at Smithfield, west of Sydney.

An fire service spokesman says the large factory has been totally encapsulated by the blaze and it is expected to burn throughout the night.

People with health or respiratory problems near the industrial building in Britton Street are being asked to stay inside until further notice due to a large amount of smoke and other fumes.

It is unknown what sort of chemicals are involved in the fire.

A passer-by called emergency services after noticing the blaze about 6:30pm.

The fire service has confirmed no one was inside the building.


US_CA: SPRING LAKE LAGOON RE-OPENS, rticle/20100703/ARTICLES/100709846/1349?Title=Acid-spill-didn-t-reach-la goon

The swimming lagoon at Spring Lake Park has re-opened after 40 gallons of muriatic acid were spilled in the area this morning due to a valve failure in the lagoon's chlorination system.

The amount is less than the 600 gallons officials initially reported, and Hazmat testing showed that the leak never got beyond the system of six-inch pipes in the fenced area east of the lagoon.

Officials say the lagoon itself was not contaminated.

Santa Rosa Battalion Chief Andy Pforsich said the leak occurred where a garden hose is mounted to a 6-inch pipe via a spigot saddle.

The spill was first reported to Sonoma County fire officials at 7:16 a.m. Hazmat teams are likely to be working throughout the afternoon testing the air and water and doing any mitigation necessary, Pforsich said.

Pforsich said the park employee who first reported the leak said he smelled something and noticed a mist around the screened enclosure around the equipment, which is used to disinfect the swimming lagoon. The employee was given a medical screening.

=93He's okay,=94 Pforsich said. =93We've evaluated him at the scene but he's not in any need of any treatment.=94



Sugar Creek, MO =97
Three railroad cars that caught fire had stopped burning as of late Saturday afternoon.

Numerous BNSF rail cars derailed in Sugar Creek near the BP refinery located near the Missouri River around 1:45 a.m. Saturday.

The derailment started a fire on one of the cars, causing it to explode. Thick black smoke and intense flames billowed out, fueled by what the car was hauling: toluene, a chemical used in paint thinners, according to Sugar Creek authorities.

The toluene rail car sparked a nearby car, carrying animal fat, and then a third car, carrying oil.

No one was hurt and no residents had to be evacuated.
Authorities initially let the cars burn. Later in the morning, firefighters cooled the remaining tanks to ensure other cars didn=92t catch fire.

A HAZMAT unit was called in to clean up the site and ensure chemicals from derailed cars did not spread into nearby waterways.

Officials took air quality tests that found the air was not toxic.


US_VT: HAZMAT TEAM INVESTIGATES STINKY SOUTH BURLINGTON HOME, http://www.wcax .com/Global/story.asp?S=12749904

Hazmat team investigates stinky South Burlington home

A hazmat team investigated the residence reporting vomit, urine, feces, evidence of animals, and very little air circulation.

Neighbors feared the smell may have been something worse.

...Chris Herrick, who is chief of the Vt. Hazmat Response Team, said neighbors have nothing to worry about.

"Those chemicals had absolutely nothing to do with the production of methamphetamines. But that's one of the reasons we came, to rule that out," he said.

It turns out the mixture of makeup and tooth whitener left on the bathroom sink may have contributed to the fumes inside.

"Our team went in, took samples and analyzed, and what we found has no health risk associated with the samples we took. They are all common household, well maybe not so common, but they are household items that would not cause someone to have the reactions the officers had," Herrick said.

Officials believe the reaction was caused by the lack of air circulation since the renters left.

Police say they will not bring any charges against the renters because they did nothing illegal.

The next stop for this case will be with the city health officer.


US_NH: EXPLOSION LEADS FARMINGTON POLICE TO METH LAB, n+leads+Farmington+police+to+meth+lab&amp;articleId=8c02003a-3ddd-48 e1-ad75-e342a785b4e8

FARMINGTON - Police said they discovered a meth lab early yesterday morning after the shed it was in exploded, setting fire to some nearby woods.
The chemicals used to make meth can be particularly volatile and the illegal labs aren=92t known for their safety.
The fire =93completely obliterated=94 the shed, police said, and spread to nearby woods. It took firefighters about 30 minutes to douse the blaze, which was made harder by the precautions necessary when dealing with a chemical fire.
Roberge said officers who were in the area all had to be decontaminated and Norman Marcotte had to be given new clothes as a precaution.


Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.