Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 08:10:18 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Ralph Stuart <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at< /div>


The WasteCare site in Garforth, West Yorkshire, was engulfed by flames after a fire broke out just after midnight on Thursday. 

Residents were told by the Health Protection Agency (HPA) to stay indoors and pay attention to their water supply. 

Some locals and guests at the Holiday Inn were evacuated as 150 firefighters battled the blaze. 

The WasteCare website says the company specialises in handling hazardous waste and "difficult" non-hazardous waste that cannot be put in a landfill site. 

This includes chemicals, batteries, fluorescent tubing, vegetable oils, printing and photographic, dry cleaning, electrical, catering, packaging and toxic waste.



Abhishek Industries Ltd has announced that there had been an explosion of the Chemical Storage tank which was stationed outside the Terry Towel Unit of the Company (Unit No - 3) situated in the Lotus Integrated Texpark Ltd (Textile Park) at Mansa Road, Dhula (Punjab).

The explosion took place in early morning of July 1, 2010 and has caused loss to the building, plant a machineries, and stock stored in the various units situated under the Textile Park which among others include Unit No - 3 of Terry Towel division of the Company. The Unit No - 3 of Terry Towel division of the Company houses 42 looms. Since the Textile Park is situated adjacent to the other manufacturing facilities of the Company; the explosion has also caused losses to the nearby buildings. plants of machineries and stocks of other units of the Terry towel, Paper and Energy division of the Company.

The Company has deployed dedicated technical team to take corrective measures to bring operations of the Terry towel, Paper and Energy division of the Company to normalcy and expects that these should come to the normal operations shortly.

The exact loss due to this explosion is being evaluated by a team of experts. However, there has not been any loss or injury to any employee or person inside or outside the plant on account of the above said explosion.


US_GA: MACON AUTHORITIES SECURE METH LAB, /index.php?option=com_content&amp;task=view&amp;id=10145& ;amp;Itemid=34

Sheriff says additional charges may be filed

Authorities with the Macon Couty Sheriff=92s Office, N.C. State Bureau of Investigations and Cullasaja Fire Department dismantled a meth lab in full HazMat gear Saturday. =93We were on scene at the residence from about noon, until about two o=92clock in the morning,=94 said Macon County Sheriff Robert Holland, as investigators obtained a search warrant. The search was executed with SBI chemists en route to assist in chemical analyses.

Authorities from the Macon County Sheriff=92s Office (MCSO) and the State Bureau of Investigations (SBI), with assistance from the Cullasaja Fire Department, secured a private residence in the Ellijay community on Saturday to dismantle a lab used for manufacturing methamphetamine. The home, located on Ralph Taylor Road, belonged to David Lee Holland, 43, and his wife, Pamela Ledbetter Holland, 39. Both suspects were arrested and additional charges may be forthcoming.

The June 26 bust was the result of a three-week surveillance investigation conducted by the MCSO. According to reports, authorities stopped Holland in a traffic stop and detained him around noon on June 25 for questioning and investigative purposes. Later that evening at 11:30 p.m., Holland was formally charged. Authorities promptly applied for a search warrant



The improper, lengthy storage of resin chips, asbestos and large amounts of other unidentified waste at the former St. Lawrence Resins plant have caused the Ministry of the Environment (MOE) to issue an order to owners to clean up the Cayuga property.

Ground water and surface water investigations by the Ministry have revealed that there is a strong potential for contaminants from this site to be migrating off-site and possibly impacting the nearby Pike Creek, which empties into the Grand River.

The former plant, at 82 Fishcarrier Street, was involved in the production of resins from approximately 1967 to 1997.
According to MOE Provincial Officer Brad Farnand's recent report, "In 1997, upon closure of the facility, much of the waste associated with the operation of this site was removed; however, a significant amount of material was left at the site."

In 2004, Provincial Officer Jason Ryan inspected the site and found numerous drums of resin, cylinders of boron triflouride, bags of asbestos, signs of spills and solvent odours coming from the tanks located on-site. Ryan wrote to St. Lawrence Resins regarding those issues and requested they submit a plan to correct them.

In early 2005, the company responded to Ryan, indicating his concerns would be addressed within 30 days by its tenant, Kevan Green, who had a lease purchase agreement with St. Lawrence Resins.



OKLAHOMA CITY -- A man investigators said was injured in a methamphetamine explosion has died.

Nathan L. Knapp, 48, died Monday at Integris Baptist Hospital. He was flown there June 23 with third degree burns on his face down to his lower body.
The victim's son, Nathan C. Knapp, 27, initially told Oklahoma County sheriff's deputies that his father had been burning trash outside the eastern Oklahoma County home when the flames got out of control and burned him.
When the victim arrived at the hospital, doctors determined he had chemical burns. Deputies said when they returned to the scene to investigate, they found signs of a meth lab.
Investigators were told by witnesses that Knapp Sr. had actually been cooking methamphetamine inside a small bathroom when the chemicals exploded. Knapp Jr. attempted to destroy all the evidence of the meth lab by setting fire to the evidence outside of the trailer, Oklahoma County Sheriff's Dept. spokesman Mark Myers said.



A Coral Springs apartment complex was evacuated Tuesday night after a strong chemical smell from one apartment unit made two maintenance workers sick.

Tenants were allowed back into their homes at the Palms Point Apartments at West Atlantic Boulevard and Riverside Drive a few hours later, just after midnight, police said. Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue and Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue hazardous materials crews tested the building for hazardous chemicals, but found nothing.

"There are long-term environmental tests that HazMat can run, but we're done, because there's not an immediate life threat right now," said Capt. Mike Moser, a spokesman for the Coral Springs Fire Department.

Fire department officials evacuated the building, which contained 24 units, after maintenance crew members reported that a vacant apartment unit had a dangerous odor and that appliances in the unit were rusting rapidly.

The maintenance workers were treated at a hospital for nausea and vomiting, and were released, officials said Wednesday.

The cause of the smell remains unknown.

Mike Jachles, a spokesman for Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue, said there will be no follow-up investigation because "whatever it was ventilated itself or dissipated."



The Grand Island YMCA was evacuated about 3 p.m. today because of a reported chemical spill.

According to police scanner traffic, hydrochloric acid and chlorine accidentally mixed in the pool area, causing chemical fumes in the area of the building.
Adults and children were evacuated, with preschoolers being taken to the Grand Generation Center and older children to the Central Plains Chapter of the American Red Cross.

The Grand Island Fire Department responded to the scene to address the chemical leak and ventilate the building. The department's hazardous materials team was en route shortly after 3 p.m.

Two ambulances were dispatched to the scene to treat at least four inhalation victims.

More information will be reported as it becomes available.


Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.