Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 12:04:08 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Perry Cooper <pcooper2**At_Symbol_Here**JHMI.EDU>
Subject: Sol-gel drying process
In-Reply-To: <5288A901-02C8-470C-92AC-BC28E1F9FEAF**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>

d; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space;-webkit-line-break: after-white-space'>

Sharing an incident. Anyone want to chip in on recommendatio ns? J

General lab exhaust through the fume hood. Some equipment exhausted with localized flex duct but not the oven.

Adjacent areas complained of strong alcohol odor.

“….. intent to prepare a batch of fine particulate size aluminum oxide via the sol gel process. The components wer e an organometallic (aluminum sec- butoxide), a solvent (2-propanol) and water. =A0 1.5l of 2-propanol was placed in a porcelain-lined steel container. 4.5kg o f aluminum sec-butoxide was added to the solvent while mixing. After these components were thoroughly mixed, 1.1l of water was added resulting in the formation of AlOH particles from the organic precursor. =A0At this point, t he composition was a viscous slurry. In order to reduce the solvent content, t he container was placed on a hot plate inside the fume hood. The composition w as heated (temperature unknown but estimated to be 70-80=B0C) for approximatel y 4 hours.=A0 At the end of this period, most of the solvent had evaporated, le aving a slightly moist “cake”. In order to remove the remaining solve nt, the container was taken to room xxxxx and placed in a convection oven. I partially covered the container with a lid to allow venting and to prevent any swirling debris from contaminating the material. Oven temperature was set a t 130=B0C and the general exhaust in this room was turned on. My intent was t o let the material dry overnight and I left for the day. When I returned the following day, I checked the oven and it was apparent that there had been a n accident at some point after I left.=A0 I later learned that there had been a small explosion and fire. I believe the fire was confined to the oven and w as extinguished by covering the container with the lid.=A0 The oven door was b ent when it swung open and contacted the control enclosure but no other damage is apparent. In the past, I have used these same procedures and equipment to m ake similar compositions without incident….”



________ _______________________
Perry D. Cooper, MS, HEM, CCHO
Manager - HSE - JHU

The Johns Hopkins University
Health, Safety & Environment< /a>

Homewood Campus Safety Office
3400 N. Charles Street

G04 Wyma n Park Bldg
Baltimore, MD 21218
Office: 410-516-2345
Fax: 410-516-4314

This transmission may contain privileged and confidential information. Be advised that any disclosure, copying, distribution or other use of this information is strictly prohibited.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.