Apparently, the problem was that unbeknownst to the teacher, there was methanol already burning in the beaker that "exploded" and when more methanol was added it flamed up. Methanol burns with an almost invisible flame, and the teacher didn't realize it was burning already or doubtless wouldn't have dumped more methanol into the beaker. -----Original Message----- From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU]On Behalf Of List Moderator Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 10:18 AM To: DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Tacoma Lab Accident Injures Four From: "Michael Kleinman"
Subject: RE: [DCHAS-L] Tacoma Lab Accident Injures Four Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:59:54 -0800 Any salt that dissolves exothermically could have initiated a rapid release of methanol vapor to the explosive limit. If showing flame colors is all that was to be achieved, placing a metal loop that was soaked in a salt solution into the flame of a Bunsen burner could achieve the objective. Shields, fire extinguishers and lab showers should be considered. Mike Kleinman
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post