Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:56:08 -0800
Reply-To: Lucy Dillman <ldillman**At_Symbol_Here**OSTEX.COM>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Lucy Dillman <ldillman**At_Symbol_Here**OSTEX.COM>
Subject: Re: Tacoma Lab Accident Injures Four
Comments: To: List Moderator

Apparently, the problem was that unbeknownst to the teacher, there was methanol already burning in the beaker that "exploded" and when more methanol was added it flamed up.  Methanol burns with an almost invisible flame, and the teacher didn't realize it was burning already or doubtless wouldn't have dumped more methanol into the beaker.

-----Original Message-----
From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU]On Behalf Of
List Moderator
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 10:18 AM
To: DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Tacoma Lab Accident Injures Four

From: "Michael Kleinman" 
Subject: RE: [DCHAS-L] Tacoma Lab Accident Injures Four
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:59:54 -0800

Any salt that dissolves exothermically could have initiated a rapid release
of methanol vapor to the explosive limit.

If showing flame colors is all that was to be achieved, placing a metal loop
that was soaked in a salt solution into the flame of a Bunsen burner could
achieve the objective.

Shields, fire extinguishers and lab showers should be considered.

Mike Kleinman

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.