Dear fellow ACS Div-CHAS members, I'm looking for advice on what you tell your people about working with chemicals of unknown toxicity. In my current case, I have a researcher who will administer a compound she is getting from a colleague at the EPA to mice. Some ata I have on similar compounds show those chemical to be 'not very toxic' but I can not find any information about this stuff. I only half-jokingly suggested she obtain an MSDS from the EPA as they are the supplier. I'm inclined to tell them to treat the material as highly toxic and collect the metabolites found in the mouse bedding/feces/urine and handle as hazardous waste. At least until they have more information about the hazards. Do you agree? Do you have any particular guidance you would care to share? Thanks in advance! -Russ Russell Vernon, Ph.D. UC System-wide Field Safety Working Group Chair www.ehs.uci.edu/apps/fieldsafe/index.jsp Laboratory / Research Safety Specialist, Integrated Waste Manager and Interim Hazardous Materials Manager Environmental Health & Safety University of California, Riverside 900 University Ave. Riverside, CA 92521 russell.vernon**At_Symbol_Here**ucr.edu www.ehs.ucr.edu Direct: (951) 827-5119 Admin: (951) 827-5528 Fax: (951) 827-5122 Register now for the UCR Emergency Notification System!
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post