Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:17:25 -0400
Reply-To: ILPI <info**At_Symbol_Here**ILPI.COM>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: ILPI <info**At_Symbol_Here**ILPI.COM>
Subject: Re: Sharing Chemicals w/Thailand Research Lab
Comments: cc: Mary Cavanaugh
In-Reply-To: <00d101c9f5c0$5ddf48d0$199dda70$**At_Symbol_Here**edu>

It the chemicals meet the OSHA definition of hazardous, then they are required to have MSDS's (with a few exceptions, none of which apply here): /hazardous.html
http://www.ilpi. com/msds/faq/partb.html#required (the exceptions)

"Hazardous" is an intrinsic property of a material.  A material is hazardous or it is not, the amount does not matter.   Risk is an extrinsic property as it varies with the amount of the material:

When shipping research quantities of chemicals that you have created, then you are required to have MSDS's to accompany the shipments:

http://www.ilp and references therein

If the materials are hazardous, the Post Office will generally not touch them: sg300/Q601.htm

UPS and FedEx are your best bets, but keep in mind that normal mortals can not ship HazMat - the shipper of HazMats has to be certified in order to do that: services/options/hazmat/

I have a contact who has made regular tri ps to Thailand and collaborated with chemist s there.  He's probably done what you need to do and may be able to offer specific advic e.  I will send you his information by private mail.

Rob Toreki

On Jun 25, 2009, at 2:11 PM, Mary Cavanaugh wrote:

Hello all, we have a new situation here on which I hope some of you can advise me.
One of our chemists has about a dozen chemicals used for research that need to be sent to a collaborating chemist in Thailand.
The chemicals are not new, all have been used in their research here in the US, and they have no real commerical value.  The quantities are all small (50 g or less).
All the chemicals have =93non-hazardous=94 DOT/IMDG and IATA labels and are in their original bottles.
All are solid or crystalline at room temp except triethanolamine, which is a viscous liquid.
What considerations do we need to have in shipping these chemicals to Thailand?  For example:
-          What kind of container can we use to ship them in?
-          Is IATA what applies, or do we need to look elsewhere to see if maybe Thailand may regulate them for import or transport?
-          Can we ship them in US Mail, UPS, FedEx, or anything we want?
-          Are there special permissions or forms we have to obtain or send to Thailand?  (I=92m already working with our Export Controls Officer).
-          Do we need to acct for them on our waste manifests in some way?
-          Do we need to include the MSDS for each one in the shipment, even though we didn=92t manufacture them?
Thanks in advance. I=92d especially love links to any guidances that may address this.
Mary M. Cavanaugh CIH
University Industrial Hygienist
Safety & Workers' Comp. Office
cavanaughmm**At_Symbol_Here**appstate . edu
(828) 262-6838 Direct
(828) 262-2936 Fax
ASU Pager #162

< /div>

Safety Emporium - Lab & Safety Supplies featuring brand names
you know and trust.  Visit us at
esales**At_Symbol_Here**  or toll-free: (866) 326-5412
Fax: (856) 553-6154, PO Box 1003, Blackwood, NJ 08012

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.