Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 08:39:53 -0400
Reply-To: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: Careless Mistake Blamed For Campus Fire

A reminder that it's not just the chemicals that can get you...

- Ralph

Careless Mistake Blamed For Campus Fire
POSTED: Saturday, August 8, 2009
UPDATED: 11:05 pm EDT August 8, 2009

DETROIT -- Authorities said someone left an electronic device plugged  
in, causing a fire at a building at Wayne State University.

The fire started on the fifth floor of the Biological Building causing  
students and staff to evacuate. The fire spread through two of the  
classrooms. Police said no one was on the floor when the fire started  
and no one was hurt, but school officials said six years of research  
has been ruined.

"I think it's safe to say with extensive damage there's quite a bit of  
loss to those two labs," said Chief Anthony Holt of Wayne State  
University Police.

Initially firefighters were also concerned because the building is  
home to a lot of chemicals.

"We're just taking proper precautions, make sure no chemicals involved  
and there were no chemicals involved. We downgraded it to a simple  
fire, said Battalion Chief Robert Latka of Detroit Fire Department.

Officials plan to have the building back open for classes by Monday.

Copyright 2009 by All rights reserved. This  
material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.