Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 18:42:47 -0400
Reply-To: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: July Laboratory explosion injures three

Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Laboratory explosion injures three

Jessica Schreifels Miller
Standard-Examiner staff
SLIDESHOW: Ogden Laboratory Explosion

OGDEN =97 Three people were hospitalized after a 5-gallon tank of  
petroleum ether exploded at a laboratory Monday afternoon in Ogden.

The explosion happened just before 2 p.m., said Ogden Fire Deputy  
Chief Chad Tucker.

Employees of Wasatch Laboratory, 2890 Reeves Ave., received a shipment  

of the petroleum ether, a very flammable chemical generally used as a  

nonpolar solvent, when they noticed one of the containers was bulging.

When they tried to move the container, Tucker said, it exploded.

Three workers were taken to McKay-Dee Hospital Center to be treated,  
but Tucker was unsure of their injuries or how severe they were, or  
any other information about them.

A fire extinguisher was used to put out the fire caused by the  
explosion, Tucker said, and the flames were out by the time fire crews  


Tucker was unsure of how many people were in the building at the time  

of the explosion, which blew open a set of double doors in the back of  

the building.

The building is being subleased to the laboratory by American  
Nutrition, a company that produces pet food and pet snacks.

Updated 11:37 p.m.


Explosion sends 3 in Ogden to hospital

OGDEN -- Three people were taken to the hospital after an explosion  
occurred at 2890 Reeves Ave. just before 2 p.m. today.

Employees of Wasatch Laboratory noticed that a five-gallon tank of  
petroleum ether they had just received was bulging, said Deputy Fire  
Chief Chad Tucker. When the employees tried to move the tank, it  
exploded. Tucker did not know what kind of injuries were sustained by  

the three or any information about them. They were taken to McKay-Dee  

Hospital for treatment. The fire caused by the explosion was put out  
with a fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived, Tucker said.

   Images and text copyright =A9 2005 by Ogden Publishing Corporation.  

Reproduction or reuse prohibited without written consent.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.