Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:38:09 -0400
Reply-To: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: Chemical Lab Safety News

Two more lab safety events picked up by Google News:

Lab accident sends UBCO student to hospital with acid burns
Monday, August 24th, 2009 | 5:44 pm

UCBO = University of British Columbia Okanagan

By Joe Fries

A UBCO student was sent to hospital this afternoon after she was  
burned with sulphuric acid.

Bud Mortenson, the university=92s public affairs manager, said the  
incident happened around 12:43 p.m. when school security was notified  

of the spill in a lab on the third floor of the Fipke Centre, one of  
the newest buildings on campus.

He was told the student received burns to her face and chest, and  
running water was used to flush the injuries while emergency workers  
made their way to the university.

=93The student was taken to hospital - undetermined what the extent of 
the injuries were,=94 Mortenson told

=93It looks like the spill in the lab was sulphuric acid,=94 he said, 
added he was uncertain =93what exactly created the spill or caused the  


=93I don=92t even really know whether it was the student was working 
(the chemical), or it was something that got knocked over.=94

Kelowna Assistant Fire Chief Thomas Doherty said the department=92s  
hazardous materials team was put on standy when the call came in, but  

was not required because lab staff was able to take care of the small  


He said his crew members told him the sulphuric acid =93splashed up=94  

into the eyes of the student, who is in her early 20s.

UBCO continues to investigate.



Another misleading headline - there was no actual "experiment gone  
wrong", but rather this was the scenario used for the drill. The story  

as a whole (excerpts below) is pretty interesting. The location is  
McCook, Nebraska.

Lab experiment gone wrong triggers disaster drill
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Bille Cole

A life-threatening situation Saturday in McCook was as real as  
possible. The mock disaster at the National Guard Armory in McCook  
included the Red Willow Western Rural Fire Department and Hazardous  
Materials Response team, Southwest Nebraska Public Health Department  
and the 72nd Weapons of Mass Destruction Civil Support Team of  
Lincoln, training for a disaster that in seconds could cause harm to  
students and families in any community.
The disaster started at 6:30 a.m. Red Willow Western Rural  
firefighters and haz-mat response team received a call, reporting that  

a teacher and her students were working on a science project requiring  

baking soda and vinegar. Somehow the wrong chemicals had been used.  
The teacher actually used deadly chemicals, sodium sulfite, carburetor  

cleaner and muriatic acid in her mixture creating a toxic fume, that  
burned some students' skin, rendered some unconscious and killed one
The cooperative efforts of the CST, Southwest Nebraska Public Health  
Department and Red Willow Western made the drill a learning experience  

for the new recruits to the fire department and a refresher course for  

those haz-mat technicians who will respond if the situation arises.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.