A reminder that you never know when visitors
will drop in...
Smoking oven empties Schroeder Complex
By Tori Dykes and Tim Seeman. Published October 13,
DPS officers found smoldering oven during routine
A smoldering oven in a Schroeder Complex laboratory
triggered fears of a hazmat situation Monday morning.
Department of Public Safety officer doing his rounds in the building
noticed smoke coming out of a second floor lab and called the fire
department at 8:14 a.m., said Milwaukee Fire Chief Mike Labinski, of
didn=92t know if chemicals were involved, so we called hazmat,=94
officials later determined an unknown substance had been spilled in the
oven. The hazmat team established there was no chemical danger, Labinski
Schroeder Complex was evacuated at 8:15 a.m., said Tim
Olsen, Marquette communication manager.
Approximately 40 people were already evacuating the building
when fire department personnel arrived on the scene, said Tiffany Wynn,
a spokeswoman for the fire department.
portion of 16th Street in front of Schroeder Complex was closed to
Within an hour, the fire department was preparing to
leave. The building was reopened by 9:25 a.m., Olsen