Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:02:34 -0500
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Ray Mainer <rmainer**At_Symbol_Here**GMAVT.NET>
Subject: Unknown hazardous chemical

I read all the emails on this topic last night and woke up this morning 
at 3 AM thinking copper naphthanate.  It has been used as a wood 
preservative since forever and it would make sense for a utility to have 
many barrels of it around.  They may have been treating poles or such 
with it.  Copper naphthanate was dissolved in petroleum naphtha, often 
dyed green, and sold to consumers as "Cuprinol".  

The low boiling point is odd.  A barrel full of liquid with a boiling 
point of 27C would burst if left in the hot sun.  The solvent is also 
nonflammable so it must not be naphtha.  I am guessing that this product 
was used to pressure treat wood that was going to be in contact with the 
ground and the low boiling solvent assured the evaporation of the solvent.

Ray Mainer

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.