Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 11:38:22 -0500
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: 4 Chemical Safety news stories from Google


http://www.myfoxl ap/ReF70lTfq0KHn6wWvAA2mA.cspx

Tech student hospitalized after chemistry mishap

Last Update: 1/08 10:20 pm
A Texas Tech graduate student is hospitalized with extensive burns suffered in an explosion in the chemistry building on Thursday.

The 29 year old victim, whose identity is being withheld, suffered serious burns to his hands and face.

University Spokesman Cory Chandler reports the victim and another grad student were performing an experiment involving Nickel Hydrazene Perchlorate.

Chandler says the lab was secured immediately and there was no risk of chemical exposure to others inside the building.

The second grad student was treated for minor injuries.

http://www.kcbd .com/Global/story.asp?S=11791240

Tech student in critical condition after explosion in chemistry building

Posted: Jan 08, 2010 1:59 PM

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - A Texas Tech grad student is in critical condition after a chemical explosion on the Tech campus.

The explosion happened in the Chemistry building around 4:00 p.m. on Thursday.

The student suffered serious burns to his hands and face and remains in critical condition at University Medical Center.

The details surrounding the accident and the chemicals involved have not yet been released.

NewsChannel 11 is gathering details on this story and will bring you the latest as it becomes available.

=A92010 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Oregon sites/web/updates/24333948-55/oak-freight-harbor-eugene-fire.csp

Chemical leak prompts brief road closure

Appeared in print: Saturday, Jan 9, 2010

Eugene authorities on Friday morning temporarily closed parts of Bertelsen Road and West First Avenue after discovery of leaked pesticide inside a truck=92s trailer.

None of the pesticide leaked onto the ground, Eugene fire District Chief Mark Grover said. It was not known how much of the pesticide seeped from a hole in a 2.5-gallon plastic container.

After the truck arrived at Oak Harbor Freight, near West First and Seneca Road, officials asked employees of nearby businesses to stay inside as a precaution.

Officials did not know the exact type of chemical that leaked, but they believed it had the potential to cause =93salivation, tears and other symptoms=94 in people, fire department spokesman Glen Potter said.

The pesticide =93was a less concentrated batch than we initially feared,=94 Potter said.

City crews turned over the scene to a commercial cleanup company later Friday morning.

New Zealand

Drenching starts chemical reaction
STAFF REPORTERS | 9th January 2010

GASSED: Lisa Hargreaves, of Hastings, was involved in an accident yesterday morning with her swimming pool chlorine.
A Hastings woman was treated by ambulance officers after being exposed to poisonous fumes when her pool chemicals reacted to an inadvertent drenching from a neighbour's garden sprinkler yesterday.

The fire service and the St John ambulance service were both called to the mishap which was reported after Lisa Hargreaves came into contact with the fumes in her garden shed in Karamu Road North, about 11am.

Hastings Fire Service senior station officer Mike Manning said the chlorine had been stored in the shed, and started to react as it came into contact with water spraying from next door.

The woman was treated as firefighters removed the dampened chlorine and dispersed it in the pool.

Ms Hargreaves said she was about to go out but decided to put chemicals in her pool first. When she opened the chlorine container gas came out. She ran outside, grabbed her garden hose and began spraying down the shed before calling emergency services. ``It was quite embarrassing with all the engines and people going past,'' Ms Hargreaves said.

She would now store her pool chemicals differently to avoid a repeat of the incident, although she added: ``It wasn't my fault. I did everything right.''

In December, a Napier man was admitted to Hawke's Bay Hospital's intensive care unit after inhaling chlorine.

The 54-year-old man had been preparing the chlorine mix for the family swimming pool in Taradale when there was a chemical reaction.

Two women, one understood to be a neighbour, were also admitted to hospital.


Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.