Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:55:18 -0500
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: 3 Chemical Safety news stories from Google

South Carolina

A Charleston man suffered severe burns early Tuesday after he was 
splashed with an industrial-strength cleaning detergent behind a West 
Ashley shopping center.

William Ross, whose age was unavailable, was listed in serious condition 
at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta.

Authorities said Ross and Jessica Laquire were injured about 5:30 a.m. 
after they reportedly kicked over a 5-gallon bucket of cleaning solution 
behind the shopping center at 630 Skylark Drive off Savannah Highway.

The bucket cracked open, splashing some of the contents onto the pair, 
said Mark Ruppel, public information officer for the Charleston Fire 

The pair drove themselves to Roper St. Francis Hospital. Ross was taken 
to the burn center. Laquire was treated and released from Roper St. 

The Charleston Fire Department's hazmat team identified the chemicals 
after a couple of hours on the scene. They eventually released the scene 
back to the property owner, who has contracted with a private company to 
clean up the spill, Ruppel said.

The S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control also was on the 
scene to supervise the cleanup.

United Kingdom

Parked van sparks Manchester chemical alert

A parked van sparked a chemical alert in Manchester city centre when it 
was spotted leaking an unknown substance.

Emergency crews were called to reports of the leak from the back of the 

Transit-style hire van on Charles Street on Tuesday evening.

Both ends of the street, which runs parallel with the BBC offices in the 
city, were cordoned off.

But the crews were stood down after investigations revealed the chemical 
as a non-hazardous industrial cleaner.

Two fire appliances and an operational support unit attended the scene, 
alongside officers from Greater Manchester Police.

For about an hour firefighters and police were stationed in the street 
as officers examined and tested the substance.

The alert had been raised at 2000 GMT and crews left about an hour 

A fire service spokesman told the BBC the substance had proved to be 


Chemical Injures Oscar Mayer Worker
Authorities: Injuries Weren't Serious

MADISON, Wis. -- A worker was taken to the hospital after a chemical 
splashed in his face at Oscar Mayer Foods on Wednesday morning.

The incident happened at about 7 a.m. Madison fire officials said that 
they man's injuries weren't life-threatening.

Firefighters were called to the facility and employees were evacuated 
from the area of the chemical spill. Authorities said that less than 5 
gallons of an alkaline material called Quadexx 100 were spilled into a 
containment tank designed to catch chemical leaks or spills.

Firefighters confirmed the leak was contained and there was no danger to 
the public. Firefighters turned over the scene to Oscar Mayer employees, 
who are responsible for cleaning up chemical spills.

Stay tuned to WISC-TV and Channel 3000 for continuing coverage.


Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.