Links to details available at
uk: Chemical plant blaze tackled by fire
SIX fire crews from three
counties were called to a fire at a chemical plant in
A block of resin caught fire inside an industrial oven
at Hexcel Composites at 10.20am yesterday. (March 23)
Firefighters - scrambled from Cambridge, Huntingdon, St
Neots, Saffron Walden and Newmarket - used water jets and hose reels
to put out the blaze.
They used a thermal imaging camera to check there were
no other hotspots in the building which could spark another fire. The
incident was under control by 12.36pm.
describes itself as the =93world=92s largest structural material
company=94. It produces carbon fibres, reinforcement fabrics and
Four burned by chemicals: Face, chest and arms injured
FORD HEIGHTS, Ill. - Four people have been transported
Ford Heights in serious condition to two hospitals with chemical burns,
according to the Cook County Sheriff.
County Sheriff's spokesman says the four individuals, between the ages
of 17 and 41, suffered burns after a caustic substance was thrown in
their faces, chest and arms.
The Ford Heights Fire Department tells WGN-TV the
incident took place around 5:00 p.m. Wednesday near 13th Street and
According to Cook County Sheriff's officials, one of
the four injured is reported to be the person who threw the caustic
substance at the other three.
us_nv: Chemical scare causes evacuation in rural N. Nevada
The Gerlach Volunteer Fire
Department and the Washoe County HazMat team worked into the night to
deal with a bucket of racing fuel that was left on Main Street in the
remote northern Nevada town Tuesday.
The fire department
evacuated an entire block of homes in a neighborhood off of the street,
and residents were not allowed to return until everything was cleaned
up, authorities said.
in the area said they had flu-like symptoms, and they think the chemical
was to blame, according to officials.
chemical was determined to be methanol. Gerlach is approximately 106
miles north of Reno
Pakistan: Fire breaks out in Karachi chemical
KARAHCI: Deadly fire has
broken out in a chemical storeroom located in Mehmoodabad locality in
Karachi, which has prompted rescue efforts at an intensive
As many as 14 fire tenders have been dispatched to
area which are taking part in rescue work along with local people of the
The fire is raging aggressively, said fire brigade
sources terming the fire as of 3rd category.
deadly blazes have also left roof of chemical stockroom collapsed,
meanwhile, the fire is on way to engulf closely situated buildings which
are being evacuated, sources said.
The electricity supply in
the area has broken down, witnesses told reporters adding that a few
nearby houses have also come on fire.
us_sc: USC engineering building evacuated after reported
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - The
Columbia Fire Department is at the University of South Carolina after
reports of a chemical spill in one of the classrooms.
Aubrey Jenkins says the Swearingen building was evacuated around 11am
Tuesday while fire crews try to determine where the odor is coming
One student said
"When I walked out of the
classroom my eyes started burning," said one student. "It smelled like
Another student said he had been told the chemical
spill contained sulfur.
The Swearingen building is part of the school of
engineering, but frequently houses classes in other
There have been no injuries reported that are
associated with the spill.
"But I got out of class, so that's what's important,"
laughed a student.