Links to details available at
us_ma: BC lab student has minor cuts,
(NECN: Boston, Mass.) - A
reaction caused an explosion inside a Boston College lab shortly after
11:30 Saturday morning, according to the Boston Fire
A student was working in a lab when there was a flash
reaction to an experiment -- the chemical was non-toxic.
student was taken to Brigham and Women's hospital for treatment to minor
burns and cuts.
india: Massive fire at chemical factory in
KANPUR: A chemical factory
was destroyed in fire that started possibly due to short circuit at site
number IV of the industrial area in Panki on Saturday evening.
of 15 fire fighting vehicles, including one from the Ordnance factory,
were pressed into service to douse the fire but it took more than three
hours to put out the flames. The gravity of the mishap can be gauged
from the fact that a very large portion of the chemical factory, along
with a portion of the godown adjacent to it, was gutted. The incident
was reported to take place around 6.30 pm.
officer Shiv Prasad told TOI that the exact cause of fire was yet to be
ascertained. However, he did not rule out the possibility of a
27 MAR 10
Blast-triggered fire kills at least 3 in E China
QINGDAO - An explosion triggered a fire in a chemical
plant in an east China city, leaving three dead, one seriously injured,
and another unaccounted for, local authorities said
The explosion occurred at 2:40 pm in Haiyi Specialty
Chemicals Co Ltd in Qingdao, a coastal city in Shandong province, said
an official of the Qingdao municipal government.
was now under control but not yet out, the official
us_ca: Chemical Dump Costs Los Angeles
The corporate operator of
the Standard Hotel in downtown Los Angeles has agreed to plead guilty to
violating federal environmental laws in an incident where a hotel
employee poured pool chemicals down a rooftop drain. The chemical dump
led to a street closure and several people became ill when fumes filled
a nearby subway station.
In a plea
agreement filed Tuesday in United States District Court, HotelsAB
Downtown Employees LLC, doing business as Standard Hotels, agreed to
plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge of negligent discharge of
In the plea agreement, HotelsAB agreed to pay a
criminal fine of $200,000, the maximum penalty under federal law, and to
make a $150,000 community service payment.
Investigators from the the FBI and the Los Angeles City Fire
Department, Hazardous Materials Unit, found that on January 18, 2009 a
maintenance employee at the Standard Hotel negligently disposed of
chlorine and muriatic acid that were located near the hotel's rooftop
us_ia: 15 reported injured from ammonia
leak at turkey processing plant - WQAD
WEST LIBERTY, Iowa - The fire department in West
Liberty says a total of 15 people were transported to University of Iowa
Hospitals and Clinics after an anhydrous ammonia leak at a meat
processing plant there.
West Liberty Fire Department Assistant Chief Tom
Christensen say the leak at West Liberty Foods was reported about 11:30
a.m. Friday and orginated with a tank on the plant's
Christensen says the 15 were treated for anhydrous
ammonia inhalation, although no one was directly exposed to the
chemical. He describes their injuries as minor to moderate and says they
are all expected to recover.
The leak led to an evacuation of West Liberty Foods,
which processes mostly turkey.