Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 07:46:56 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at

us_la Fire at La. chemical warehouse forces evacuations
Fire at La. chemical warehouse forces evacuations

DENHAM SPRINGS, La. =97 A huge fire broke out at a chemical warehouse Tuesday in southeastern Louisiana, forcing the evacuation of about 20 nearby residents and pulling in about 100 firefighters, authorities said.

An explosion inside the Coco Resources warehouse triggered the fire about 2 p.m., said State Fire Marshal Butch Browning. Over the next two hours, other barrels of chemicals exploded and smoke could be seen as far away as Baton Rouge, about 20 miles away.

Lt. Doug Cain, a state police spokesman, said troopers had examined a list of materials kept at the warehouse and found them to be a "gumbo" of chemicals, mostly in 55-gallon drums.

us_sc: Accident causes gasoline spill at Florence station
FLORENCE =97 About 50 gallons of gasoline spilled after a filler elbow attached to a hose from a gasoline tanker was broken off at a Florence gasoline station late Monday morning.
An engine from Florence Fire Station 4 was called about 11:45 a.m. to Breaker=92s at West Hoffmeyer Road and West Evans Street.
While the tanker belonging to B-Line Trucking out of Greenville was filling up, a car backed over the elbow, breaking it off. Officials said the driver of the tanker shut off the gasoline right away using the emergency shut-off switch.

Austalia: Comcare investigates lab explosion
The federal occupational health and safety inspector, Comcare, is investigating an explosion in an Australian National University chemistry laboratory on Tuesday night when a student's experiment went wrong.
The explosion in the university's chemistry building prompted the evacuation of about 200 people just before 6pm.

A spokeswoman for the university said a third-year chemistry student had been discharged from hospital later that night after receiving three stitches to her arm and minor burns to her face.

The explosion occurred while the student was disposing of a chemistry experiment that had been completed, but due to the ongoing investigation the spokeswoman could not elaborate.

ACT Fire Brigade district officer Jim Schlizio said the student had been working inside a fume cupboard when the explosion happened.

She went to dispose of her experiment when the chemicals involved combined with waste material from another experiment, causing the blast.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.