Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 08:03:30 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Secretary ACS DCHAS <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at

us_pa: Chartiers Valley High School Evacuated After Mercury Spill
Chartiers Valley High School was evacuated because of a mercury spill Tuesday afternoon.
"We had a student who accidentally broke a thermometer in the science lab. When the thermometer broke, the students were immediately evacuated," said Dr. Bernard Sulkowski, acting superintendent of Chartiers Valley School District.
Although the amount of spilled mercury was small, the principal detected a slight odor in the classroom and ordered an evacuation as a precaution in case the odor would have gotten into the ventilation system, Sulkowski said.
Hazardous materials teams responded and said the odor did not get into the ventilation. They used an ammonia-based solution to wash the soles of the feet of 12 students who were in the science lab when the thermometer broke.

us_sc: Hazmat Crews Called To Plant Fire
WESTMINSTER, S.C. -- Rodney Burdette, the Oconee County Emergency Management Agency Director, said a fire broke out in a storage building behind the Ulbrich Flat Wire Plant.
Ulbrich is located on Plant Road.
Burdette said no homes were endanger of being damaged by the fire.
Multiple fire crews were called to the scene to battle the fire.
Hazmat officials were also called to the scene.
Crews said there was lead dust inside the storage building.
The fire was extinguished about ten Tuesday night.
Fire crews said the fire was contained to just the storage building.

04 MAY 10
us_mn: Chemical spill reported Saturday
The Caledonia Fire Department was called to the Tru-Gas mobile home park Saturday evening, when residents noticed a strong chemical smell in the 500 block of West Caledonia Street. According to Fire Chief Chuck Gavin some type of chemical spill happened sometime Saturday behind the homes at 508 and 510 West Caledonia.

=93The plants in the back yard were discolored and we could tell by the smell that it wasn=92t a gas leak,=94 Gavin said Monday morning. =93We talked to the home owners but were not able to determine what type of chemical it was.=94 A Rochester hazzmat team was called in and arrived around midnight. They conducted tests on sight but could not determine what type of chemical had been spilled. They took samples back to their lab in Rochester.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and Department of Agriculture have been called in to help conduct the investigation. The Caledonia Police Department is also aiding in the investigation.

us_ca: HazMat team clears chemical leak aboard ship at Port of LA
No injuries or illnesses were reported early Tuesday morning when a nontoxic chemical seeped from two cargo containers aboard a vessel from China docked at the Port of Los Angeles, officials said.

The U.S. Coast Guard and Los Angeles Police and Fire departments arrived at Berth 303 shortly after the APL Tennessee pulled into the harbor around 4 a.m., said port spokesman Phillip Sanfield.

The captain of the ship apparently knew that last week two 20-foot-long cargo containers were leaking a white powder substance known as trichloroisocyanuric acid, an industrial disinfectant and bleaching agent with a strong chlorine odor.

The cause of the leak was attributed to the fact that the powder was placed in loose-fitting packaging, then mixed with coastal moisture, Sanfield said.

It was unclear how much of the substance had escaped from the cargo containers, but the Fire Department's hazards materials team deemed the situation as safe.

us_sc: Chemical spill in downtown Charleston
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Charleston Fire Department officials have confirmed a chemical spill at the Rhodia Chemical plant in downtown Charleston.

Charleston Fire Department public information officer Mark Ruppel says the plant had a phosphorous tri chloride leak this morning. Ruppel says plant workers sounded the alarm when the leak occurred because when phosphorous tri chloride mixes with rain water it can create hydrochloric acid. Hydrochloric acid can be highly corrosive and cause severe damage to skin.

Ruppel says there is no danger to the public at this time. He says the plant is handling the clean-up from the spill, and the Fire Department is simply on standby to assist of needed.

us_sd: Chemical leak forces evacuation of Tyson Center
SIOUX CITY -- No one was seriously hurt after a chemical cloud forced the evacuation of the Tyson Events Center today in downtown Sioux City.
Sioux City firefighters and the department's HAZMAT unit responded to the reaction at 11:44 a.m. The building was evacuated, and responders cordoned off the south side of the Tyson Events Center parking lot, as well as the entrances to the Long Lines Family Rec Center, with yellow tape.
Assistant Sioux City Fire Chief Pat Flynn said the incident occurred when employees dropped Bromine tablets, an oxidizer they use instead of Chlorine, into the plastic piping that supplies water to the Tyson's outdoor water features.
He said the tablets reacted with leftover Glycol, an anti-freeze agent that is put into the system for the winter months. In addition to the cloud, the reaction caused heat that melted some of the plastic pipes.

austalia: Fire crews battle factory blaze at K & H Surface Technologies
The blaze at K&H Surface Technologies=92 factory, on the South Gippsland Hwy, began just before 3pm, sending fireballs into the sky.

Up to 50 workers were evacuated from the factory as CFA firefighters worked to control the blaze.

Police are urging motorists to avoid the area between Greens Road and the Princes Highway in Dandenong.

Witnesses are reporting massive clouds of black smoke and huge explosions at the chemical manufacturing company.

=93The explosions are for real. You can actually feel the vibrations when they go off,'' one witness told 3AW Radio this afternoon.

=93With the amount of smoke that's pouring out and when they explode the smoke is just black as.

=93It's a scary moment.''

A former worker at the factory warned the fire could be very dangerous if firefighters don't get it under control quickly.

=93There's hundreds of thousands of litres of chemicals in there,'' he said.

us_id: Micron worker burned in flash fire
BOISE -- Four people were injured at Micron after a small flash fire broke out this morning and triggered an evacuation of two company buildings in east Boise.
Fire Haz Mat crews, Ada County EMS, Boise Police and firefighters responded to the scene just before 9 a.m.
Officials say a Micron employee was working in a small room known as a mix station. It is about 6-foot by 8-foot in size. The mix station is where waste chemicals used in the semiconductor process are rendered safe for transport off the Micron campus.
Only one employee was working in the mix station when the flash fire broke out. It was quickly extinguished by the building's sprinkler system

Ralph Stuart
Secr etary
Division of Chemical Health and Safety
American Chemical Society

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.