Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 08:05:10 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Secretary ACS DCHAS <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at

us_wa: Mobile meth lab found in backpack
SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane Police officers responding to a burglary in progress were forced to call in hazmat crews after discovering the burglary suspect was carrying a meth lab in his backpack. The chemicals and smoke in the mobile lab caused one of the responding officer to start coughing immediately.

Just after 9pm, Saturday evening, officer arrived at the 2700 block of N. Cook to find the suspect, 52 year-old Helmut Borchert, struggling with a neighbor who was trying to keep him there for police. Officer McMurtrey quickly gained control of Borchert and placed him in handcuffs. McMurtrey starting coughing and saw smoke coming from the suspect's backpack. Borchert told police he had a meth lab in his backpack.

Hazmat crews came to the scene and disposed of the hazardous chemicals.

Borchert was booked into jail for Burglary in the second degree. Charges related to the meth lab are pending.

us_ar: Police Remove Suspected Meth Lab =46rom Home
FORT SMITH, Ark. -- Investigators arrived at a home on North 13th Street in Fort Smith Saturday after they said the homeowner discovered what he believed was a methamphetamine lab.
The owner Walter Peterson said he often rents rooms in his home out to people.
"Nobody has ever left my house hungry," Peterson said.
He said a couple who he rented one room had not returned to the room in quite some time.
Peterson said his caregiver was cleaning out their belongings when she found syringes, spoons and a two liter bottle covered in a brown substance.
Police carried the items from the home and called in a hazmat team to dispose of what they are calling a shake-and-bake meth lab.
Peterson said the couple who were renting the room were in jail when he discovered the suspected meth lab.
Sebastian County Jail officials sad the two were booked on failure to appear charges.
Police have not said if the two will be charged with a crime in this case.

us_mt: Hazardous Fire Evacuates Marion County Homes
People were evacuated from their homes after a chemical fire at a recycling plant in Marion County, Saturday night.

The fire broke out at the SFK Paper Recycling Plant off of Sanford Road.

Marion County officials say there was a release of hydrogen sulfide, which is a poisonous chemical.

Sheriff's deputies and firefighters had to evacuate folks from their homes in Sanford, Montana Mines, Five Forks and Rivesville.

Those people had to take shelter at East Fairmont High School and the Baxter Volunteer Fire Department.

A hazardous materials team was also on scene late Saturday night.

Emergency crews eventually lifted the evacuation after they assesed the scene.

Every one was permitted to return to their homes within about two hours.

uk: Shorts building damaged in fire
Shorts building damaged in fire

The fire broke out at Shorts on Sunday morning
The main building at the Shorts factory in east Belfast has been significantly damaged in a blaze on Sunday morning.
There were no injuries and 85 fire fighters at the scene have now brought the fire under control.
The Fire Service said that it would not speculate about the cause of the fire at this stage.
A spokesperson said dealing with the fire was difficult because of the number of chemicals present. Six chemical experts are at the scene.
The building is the main area where aircraft are assembled.
John Allen from the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said the chemical experts, from Shorts parent company Bombardier, were assessing potential dangers.
He added: "Because of the nature of the building and the work that goes on - the construction of aircraft - there is a number of chemicals which are involved, which in themselves don't present a problem.

us_ga: Large fire overnight at Jackson Co. chemical plant
COMMCERCE- Jackson County firefighters worked overnight to put out a fire at the H W Wilson chemical plant near Commerce. Fire crews were called just after midnight Sunday to the plant located near the airport at the intersection of Highway 82 and Lyle Field Road. 

Officials said it took between five and six hours to gain control of the fire and haz-mat was called in. No one was hurt in the blaze. No word yet on a cause.

canada Ammonia leak prompts evacuation for residents near Lilydale
Several residents near the Lilydale Foods plant at 7727 127 Ave. were evacuated Saturday afternoon due to an ammonia leak.

Ammonia is extremely destructive to the respiratory tract and can cause a burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea and vomiting.

Fire dispatch Capt. Grant Ward said calls started coming in just after noon about a strange odour coming from the plant. Hazmat, air monitoring and EMS units were all sent to the plant and residents who live within three blocks of the plant were asked to evacuate.

By 12:30 p.m. the leak had been contained and people were allowed to return to their homes.

There were 21 people in the plant at the time and all got out safely.

us_ka: Ammonia Spill Shuts Down Topeka Intersection

Topeka, KAN. (WIBW)--A dangerous spill forced authorities to shut down a major Topeka intersection. Hazmat crews were on scene for nearly 3 hours after an agricultural size tank of anhydrous ammonia rolled onto southwest Sixth avenue and MacVicar at 1:40 Saturday.

Toxic gas then began to leak from a valve on the tank. A fire department hazardous inspection team plugged the leak about an hour later. Topeka fire and police officers evacuated homes two blocks south of the intersection. Authorities said that type of ammonia is deadly if inhaled, ingested or absorbed through the skin.

us_tx: Hazmat called to local warehouse
The Laredo HAZMAT unit is called out to a local warehouse after a container begins leaking. 
Employees at the warehouse were asked to leave by first responders. 
According to the Laredo fire department, a large container holding acetone at the a. Castaneda and company warehouse began leaking. 
Authorities believe a valve on the container failed. 
The heat caused the container to then expand and fumes to begin leaking. 
Hazmat crews did not shut down the area and no one else was evacuated. 
Authorities say there was no immediate danger

us_tx: 18-wheeler fatality crash diverts 59 to one lane near Timpson - Lufkin and Nacogdoches |
SHELBY COUNTY, TX (KTRE) - Hazmat crews spent hours cleaning up the scene on U.S. 59, one mile south of Timpson, after an 18-wheeler wrecked early Friday morning, killing one.

According to the Department of Public Safety, Sylvester Samuel Brown, 55, of Corinth was driving northbound at 2:20 a.m. when he left the road and rolled his rig. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:25 a.m.

The big rig was hauling muriatic acid, paint thinner and acetone. The household items can be found in most any hardware store, but quantities like this lead to problems.

us_ny: LaGrange Middle School closed tomorrow; 6th grade trip still on | | Poughkeepsie Journal
FREEDOM PLAINS =97 LaGrange Middle School will be closed Friday as well so cleanup of a mercury spill can continue, the district announced this afternoon on its website.

The spill may be larger than previously reported and the school is closed today as well.

The mercury was brought to school Wednesday in a vial by a student.

District officials said they decided to close the school today on the advice of Dutchess County health officials.

The school was locked down Wednesday after the spill was reported and dozens of students were sent to the hospital as a precaution.

No student illnesses have been reported, but the district said it is checking in with students today to see how they are doing.

us_or: Hazmat crews called to chemical leak on I-5
WOODBURN =97 Woodburn hazardous materials crews responded to a chemical leak Wednesday north of town on I-5.

According to the fire district, a Reddaway company freight truck pulled into a port of entry three miles north of Woodburn for an inspection when officials discovered something seeping out the back of the trailer.

The truck was pulled into the containment area and authorities called Hazmat crews from Woodburn, Salem and Aurora for assistance.

The leak was determined to be sodium hydroxide, an acidic liquid cleaning agent, which had spilled from a 55-gallon drum punctured in the truck.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.