Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 07:49:57 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at

us_mo: Mo. FFs Respond to Hazmat Incident
May 12- When a yellowish-white cloud of vapor erupted from a ruptured barrel Tuesday afternoon, firefighters evacuated everyone living near the Maysville water plant.
That included about 50 people who live on the south side of town next to Missouri Highway 33, said Ivan Klippenstein, the Central DeKalb County Fire Protection District chief.
"This worked like it's supposed to," said Roarke Holzschuh, the Department of Natural Resources' on-scene coordinator for hazardous chemical spills.
Firemen and public works employees noticed the yellowish liquid was reacting with water on the ground from recent rains, Mr. Holzschuh said. They chose evacuation and decided not to put water or any chemicals on the spill.
"That was the right response," said Bill Brinton, Northwest Missouri Region H Haz-Mat Response Team coordinator.
The incident started when two public works employees were moving some old barrels from behind a building, located across the parking lot from the water plant...

us_tx: Chemical odor prompts school evacuation
School District officials said classes should resume to normal operations today at Harris Middle School, where more than 100 students were evacuated Tuesday when staff reported smelling chlorine.
The school's fine arts department, gymnasium and cafeteria had to be evacuated about 11 a.m. when four adults and two students became ill after inhaling the chemical's fumes, said district spokeswoman Deb Caldwell. They were treated at the school in the 5300 block of Knoll Creek Drive and didn't require hospitalization.

By 12:30 p.m., officials sealed the entrances to the affected areas and ventilated the building.

The San Antonio Fire Department hazardous materials unit tested the air quality inside the school and determined it to be safe.

The smell originated from a faulty chemical pump containing bleach, which is used in the school's air conditioning system, Caldwell said. About 1,300 students remained in unaffected classrooms for the rest of Tuesday, she said.

us_tx: SMU student slightly hurt in small lab fire
DALLAS =97 A student was treated for minor injuries Tuesday after she was exposed to a small chemical fire in a laboratory on the Southern Methodist University campus.
The student was disposing of the chemical about 3:15 p.m. when it ignited and caused minor burns to her leg, a university spokesman said.
The student was taken to the university clinic where she was treated for a minor injury, the official said.
About 75 people who were in the Fondren Science Building were evacuated as a precaution.
The Dallas Hazardous Materials Unit responded to the fire on the second floor of the building and sounded the all clear about 4:45 p.m. allowing people to return.
The official described the fire as being about as big as a small wastebasket.

us_tx fire laboratory unknown_chemical injuries
us_tx: Two injured in chemical explosion at Texas A&M lab
COLLEGE STATION, TX (KTRK) -- Two people were injured in a chemical explosion at a lab at Texas A&M University.

According to an A&M spokesperson, two graduate students, a man and woman, were working on an experiment in the chemistry lab annex in the heart of the campus when a vessel they were working with over-pressurized and exploded.
"They were working with some sort of experiment in a small beaker and it over pressurized and the beaker exploded, and resulted in the minor injuries for them," said Texas A&M spokesperson Lane Stephenson.

The male student walked into the ambulance and the female student was taken on a stretcher. Both students were taken to a local hospital for treatment. Their injuries were described as minor.

us_id: Diesel fuel spilled in log truck wreck
LEWISTON - A Moscow log truck driver escaped injury when he wrecked his truck Monday morning on Southwick Grade near Kendrick. 

According to Idaho State Police, 49-year-old Phillip Fleener was headed west on the grade around 7:30 a.m. when he lost air pressure on his brakes. He used an access road as a runaway truck ramp, stopping the vehicle in the trees. 

About 100 gallons of diesel fuel was spilled, classifying the incident as a regulatory hazmat spill. No waterways were affected. 

Fleener was cited for unsafe equipment.

wv: SFK Comments on Chemical Fire at Fairmont Plant
FAIRMONT -- The investigation into a chemical fire in a Fairmont plant continues.
Authorities evacuated homes around the SFK Pulp Mill in Fairmont Saturday night, due to hydrogen sulfide leaking from the plant.

A small fire in a chemical storage room broke out around 8:00 Saturday, said SFK officials.

The storage room is specifically designed with safeguards to control the effects of a chemical release, including sealing off the room and starting the sprinkler system, officials explained in a written statement issued Sunday.

Those safeguards worked as they should, and the fire was quickly brought under control with no injuries to mill personnel, officials said.

The chemical stored in the room is formamidinesulfinic acid, and is used by SFK as a reducing agent in our paper and pulp industry, and is also routinely used in other industries like leather, photographic and textile processing, according to the statement.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.