Links to details available at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas
occurred at a chemical lab in northeast China's Liaoning Province
Wednesday, causing no casualties.
The explosion happened at a
laboratory warehouse of the Dalian Chemical Physics Institute under the
Chinese Academy of Sciences in Dalian City at around 1:40 p.m., said a
man in charge of the security of the institute.
the blast happened when hydrogen peroxide in the warehouse was under
No one was hurt in the blast, said the
Police have cordoned off the area and are looking into
CARBONDALE- A chemical fire in SIU's Neckers lab last
week will cost more than first expected.
New estimates are more than a million dollars, that's
four times the initial estimate.
smoked cleared, it didn't take long for University officials to know
their quarter of a million dollar cleanup estimate, was way off.
a cancer causing fiber used in construction is partially to blame.
started to clean up, they found Asbestos wrapping on some of the pipes
so they're going to have to get that out of there," says University
Spokesman Rod Sievers.
Sievers says a lack of insurance is another
the contents were insured, some of the contents were not," he says.
appears $500,000 will be needed to replace equipment and another
$500,000 to fix the building after a student cleaning the lab with
hydrocarbons got too close to a heat source.
very flammable material=85 because it's a liquid it spread real quick
and it caught the rest of the lab on fire," says Sievers.
precaution the entire C wing of Neckers is locked up until further
Crews are conducting air quality checks trying to make
sure the building is safe.
University has ruled the fire an accident and the student will not be
Sievers says a fire is just one of the risks, when it
comes to chemistry.
like every so often something like this happens, this one just happened
to be pretty intense," he says.
WOODWARD =97 Two people were
injured in a red phosphorous chemical fire at the Deepwater Chemicals
plant west of Woodward Tuesday morning.
Emergency Management Director Matt Lehenbauer said an employee of the
iodine derivative production plant was injured when the fire
The Deepwater press release noted the fire =93occurred
during the startup of a separate newly constructed facility at the
Deepwater Chemicals plant,=94 which is located near West Woodward
Airport along Airpark Road.
Both Finley and Lehenbauer said the fire started
shortly before 9 a.m. as a worker was mixing or preparing to mix some of
the red phosphorus chemical, which both said is unstable and highly
=93Friction from the product itself caused it to
auto-ignite,=94 Finley said.
A Gwinnett County metal trash bin fire is out and fire
officials are waiting for crews to clean up the resulting chemical
release near North Berkley Lake.
Around 2 p.m., firefighters
responded to reports of a fire from a large roll-off trash container
holding household and car batteries in the 6200 block of Peachtree
Industrial Boulevard, Gwinnett County fire spokesman Lt. Eric Eberly
After initially attacking the fire with water,
firefighters let the fire burn, because adding water to chemicals in the
batteries would create hydrochloric acid, Eberly said.
initial fire crew was exposed to chemical gases, and four fighters were
treated for exposure.
No nearby businesses were closed, and crews protected
storm drains from runoff and closed North Berkley Lake around the
Peachtree Industrial Boulevard area, Eberly said.
ajc.com for more
GA (WALB) -A simple mistake turned into a big problem in Douglas
Wednesday. Firefighters say someone accidentally threw hazardous
chemicals away. After a garbage truck picked up the load, it caught
Hazmat workers were called and people in the area were
told to stay inside until the situation was under
Officials say the mess could have easily been
prevented. "This is an incident that could happen if you do not properly
dispose of a chemical," said Fire Chief Tim White.
White drove by the parking lot of Hightower Church around 10:00am this
morning and saw the garbage truck with smoke."Once we started to put out
the fire we noticed there were some chemicals in the fire," said
The chief says about forty gallons of a potentially
dangerous chemical had been dumped in the trash. "Some of them had been
busted some of them still intact, we contacted various agencies and
found out what we needed to do to stop the run off.
Firefighters say the chemical was accidentally thrown
away by someone working at Callejas Industries a small fiberglass
manufacturing company. "It came out of the jugs when the trash
compacted, it had a chemical reaction," said