Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 07:17:17 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Ralph Stuart <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at< /div>

US_OH: HAZMAT CREWS CLEAN UP DRUMS LEAKING VOLATILE SUBSTANCE, le-Hazmat-crews-clean-up-drums-leaking-volatile-substance?instance=secon dary_stories_left_column

CLEARFIELD =97 The county=92s hazardous materials team was called to a Clearfield business on Monday where two drums were leaking a volatile substance.

The crews were called to Utility Trailer, 1111 S. 1000 West about 4 p.m. Monday, where they found two 55-gallon drums of methyl ethyl ketone had been punctured and were leaking the volatile fluid. By the time crews arrived each barrel had lost about half their contents, Rampton said.

Crews were able to isolate the barrel and put what was left of the substance in different containers, Rampton said. The company hired a company to clean up the spill. There were no injuries.

Rampton said that as part of the county=92s hazardous materials team, his crew was called out to assist the North Davis Fire District, which was in charge of the call. Crews from Layton and Syracuse fire departments also assisted.


US_WI: SPILL SHUTS DOWN HIGHWAY 41 RAMPS, ON0101/6110393/Spill-shuts-down-Highway-41-ramps

TOWN OF ELDORADO =97 The Fond du Lac County HAZMAT crew was called to a spill involving an unknown substance along Highway 41 in the town of Eldorado Tuesday afternoon.

Sgt. Jeff Bonack of the Fond du Lac County Sheriff's Department said the Eldorado fire chief noticed a large pile of a suspicious, powdery white substance lying on the shoulder of the southbound lane of the Country Trunk N exit ramp around 1:36 p.m.

"As of this time we still don't know what the substance is but the HAZMAT crew determined that it was of a negative acidity and didn't seem to be anything of concern," Bonack said. "It was a rather large pile, measuring 6 by 6 feet and 1 foot deep."

Responding to the scene was the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, the Wisconsin State Patrol, the Fond du Lac County Sheriff's Department and Veolia hazardous waste services.

The exit ramp was closed to traffic for approximately two hours.



AURORA, Colo. -- Nine people, including eight emergency responders, were rushed to the hospital Thursday morning after they were exposed to potassium cyanide.
A man made a cryptic, vague 911 call just before 9 a.m. saying he had cyanide in a glass of water. He did not give his identity, his location, nor his intention with the cyanide, said Aurora fire Capt. Allen Robnett.
However, using his cell phone number, officers were able to track down his name and learn that there was an active warrant for his arrest. The warrant had his last known address -- the Skyview RV Park, Unit 57, at 16051 E. Colfax Avenue near Laredo Street.


Two police officers went to the trailer park and talked to the man, who apparently drank some cyanide and spilled the rest as police tried to confiscate it, according to doctors at University Hospital.
Robnett added Hazmat investigators don't know how much cyanide was exposed.
At first, firefighters transported the man and two police officers to the hospital. But while decontaminating the RV, the hazardous materials team transported four additional officers and two medics as a precaution, Robnett said.
However, none of the first responders showed any symptoms, Robnett said.
University Hospital said it evaluated nine people -- and admitted two to the hospital. The man was admitted to the intensive care unit in fair condition, and an officer was admitted for observation, said Erika Matich, a spokeswoman with the University of Colorado Hospital.
The other seven people were evaluated, treated and released, Matich said.


US_SC: HAZMAT TEAMS WORKING TO CLEAR LIBERTY TRAIN WRECK, http://www.greenvilleonli ty-train-wreck

LIBERTY - Hazmat teams are staying clear of the site of a train derailment near Liberty out of fear of fire.

Officials evacuated 436 homes as a precaution following the derailment.

Lynn Fisher, director of Pickens County emergency management, said the train was carrying isopropnal alcohol, a flammable liquid.

A spokesman for Norfolk Southern said it was carrying ethylene glycol, a flammable liquid, and polyurethane, a flammable material used to make foam for car seats.

=93We have our folks en route to determine the extent of the damage,=94 train spokesman Robin Chapman said. =93We do not know at this time if there has been a hazardous release.=94



MINNEAPOLIS -- A chemical explosion in Minneapolis Thursday morning injured three people, one critically.

The explosion happened just before 8 a.m. at Interplastic Corporation at 2015 Broadway St. NE.

Workers were replacing the cap on an external tank, said Assistant Fire Chief Cherie Penn.

"At that time, there was some kind-of flash explosion," she said.

One worker was critically injured, another was seriously injured, Penn said.  Both had second- and third-degree chemical burns and were taken to Hennepin County Medical Center.

The third worker received minor injuries. 

The tank, which holds an acid-based product, was only a quarter full, Penn said, so it did not leak any chemical materials.

"The product is still in the tank," Penn said.  "So there is no danger to the public."

Hazmat crews and the Minneapolis Fire Department remained on the scene Thursday morning, waiting for the chemical to cool down and solidify.



A portion of the second floor of the Palma Hall in the University of the Philippines (UP) was destroyed when fire hit the area last Wednesday night.

Arson probers said that the fire started at 10:50 p.m. in one of the chemical laboratories of the building.

At first, it was thought that what transpired was a case of spontaneous combustion, but Dr. Evangeline Amor, College Secretary of the Chemistry Department of UP, explained that what they had in their labs were merely flammable materials.

She explained that it is the inflammable materials that are the usual cause of spontaneous combustion since flammable materials need a spark first or something to ignite it, to actually cause fire.

Dr. Grace Gregorio, Vice Chancellor of UP, said that they might suspend classes, depending on the recommendations of the arson investigators of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP).

Security personnel of UP tried to put out the fire at first, but they thought better of it when they realized that electricity was still running and they might get electrocuted. A few minutes later, firefighters arrived at the area and began dousing water into the building.

Because of the material contained inside the said laboratories, firefighters of the QC Fire Department mixed chemical with the water that they were using to improve their chances of putting out the fire.



MANILA, Philippines -- A building housing the Chemistry laboratory of the University of the Philippines in Diliman was razed by a three-hour fire late Wednesday night in Quezon City. 

Quezon City fire marshall Senior Superintendent Bobby Baruelo said the Palma Hall Pavilion II of the UP Institute of Chemistry, which also houses the organic chemistry and biochemistry laboratories, was razed by a fire of still undetermined causes at around 11 p.m. Wednesday.

The fire allegedly broke out on the second floor of the building.

Guards valiantly tried to put out the fire using fire extinguishers but were overwhelmed by thick smoke and heat.

UP College of Science Secretary Evangeline Amor told arson probers the fire could have started from flammable and inflammable chemicals stashed in the laboratories. She said the fire could have been started by spontaneous combustion, or a spark somewhere could have triggered it.

Baruelo said that prior to the fire, some people were seen in the building working on unspecified research projects at around 9:45 p.m.

Classes at the building were temporarily suspended yesterday because of the incident, the official said.

No one was reported injured or killed in the blaze even as damage is yet to be determined, according to fire officials. 



BEEVILLE =97 Beeville police responded to a low-impact chemical explosion about 3 p.m. Wednesday at a private residence, Police Chief Joe Trevi=F1o said.

Two boys, ages 12 and 13, were found at the home in the 200 block of N. Tyler Street, he said. Neither was injured and the damage was minor.

=93We believe one of them mixed some chemicals in a bottle that exploded,=94 Trevi=F1o said.

Trevi=F1o would not disclose the type of chemicals used.

=93We don=92t want other kids trying it,=94 he said.

Investigators questioned the boys Thursday and could seek warrants for one or both of them for possible charges of possession of an explosive weapon or possession of a hoax bomb, Trevi=F1o said.


Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.