ARGYLE =E2=80=93=E2=80=93 An
overturned dump truck early Saturday closed down Argyle Road for about
"We got called out at 3:01 a.m., said
Jackson Township Fire Association Chief Paul Henson. "A dump
truck had lost control in the 3500 block of Argyle Road and flipped on
its side on the Sugar Creek Bridge. It dumped 25,000 pounds of a filter
substance (it was transporting) for Roquette (America,
The truck, driven by Dale R. Mudgett II, 26,
Wyaconda, Mo., and owned by Waggoner Solutions, Donnellson, was lying on
its side across the road. Mudgett received minor injuries, according to
Lee County Chief Deputy Jim Sholl.
Henson called in Lee County
Hazardous Materials Task Force personnel from the Keokuk Fire Department
and Keokuk Fire Chief Mark Wessel.
When the hazmat team arrived
shortly after 3:30 a.m., personnel assessed the spilled material, which
was identified as agricultural lime. The hazmat report noted that 50
gallons of diesel fuel that had leaked from the truck was being
contained by a dike built from the spilled ag lime by Jackson fire
EAST GREENBUSH =E2=80=94 A small
pesticide spill near Mill Creek Monday afternoon had hazmat and
environmental crews working for several hours on cleanup efforts, though
officials say there doesn=E2=80=99t appear to be any threat to the water
The spill happened around noon when an eastbound
truck from Nature=E2=80=99s Way Pest Control went off the side of Morner
Road and hit a bridge abutment near the intersection of Rossi Way,
crumpling the front of the truck. The bridge runs over Mill
The male driver was taken to a nearby hospital with
minor injuries. No further information about the cause of the crash or
the driver=E2=80=99s identity was available at press time.
assistant chief at Best-Luther Fire Company, which responded to the
scene, said the truck was carrying a variety of pesticide products, and
a five-gallon jug of concentrated spray burst on impact with the
Toronto Police, Hazmat and fire crews worked through
the night to contain and clean up a diesel fuel spill in the Don
The fuel allegedly originated from a buried fuel
tank that ruptured on Sunday at a construction site near Brentcliffe
Road and Eglinton Avenue, just under the spot where Eglinton crosses the
river west of Leslie Street. The smell and strange colour of the river
was noticed by a Leaside resident, who notified police.
of the Environment has been notified and will asses the damage to the
river. The spill was contained to the Don River, no fuel leaked into
MANATEE =E2=80=94 Six people were hospitalized
Monday after they inhaled fumes from an unidentified chemical at the
Goodwill Manasota building, 7501 15th Street E. in Manatee
The chemical agent, possibly
pepper spray, caused respiratory and eye irritation, according to a
report from the Manatee County Department of Public Safety, which sent a
Even though one Goodwill
employee and four customers were sent to area hospitals for evaluation,
12 were evaluated by Manatee County Emergency Medical Service, the
There was some speculation by
employees that the chemical might have been pepper spray that was
activated, but that has not been confirmed, the report says.
The incident took place in the "barn,="
located to the rear of the facility.
Surveillance cameras on site will be evaluated, according to the
Since people were evacuated and
not permitted to get near their own vehicles, two county transit buses
were brought to the scene to get people out of the heat.
Hazmat and fire personnel cleared the building and
deemed it safe to re-enter about an hour later.
Miss. (WTVA) - With numerous volunteer firefighters and fire trucks on
stand by, company fire responders at Tronox reportedly acted quickly to
fight a fire at the plant in Hamilton, Mississippi.
is the former Kerr-McGee plant located on Highway 145.
spokesperson says the fire was contained to a sodium chlorate storage
He tells WTVA no workers were injured, and
production at the remainder of the plant continued without
CHARLOTTE -- A chemical reaction
and explosion in east Charlotte sent two people to the hospital on
Firefighters say the victims were working on a
community pool on Spring Ridge Lane when it happened. They both work for
sun homes properties. When the chemicals reacted, they got into the
Fire officials say chemical burns are bad enough,
but breathing in the chemicals can be even more dangerous.
"It very well
can cause damage to the respiratory tract, so it's not a good thing,"
said Fire Marshal Jeff Bostian.
Officials say both men were
licensed and trained to work with the pool chemicals. They are both
expected to be released from the hospital on Monday.
Last night, Seventh Avenue between 42nd and 48th
Streets was closed so the Fire Department could attend to a hazmat
situation at 1515 Broadway, better known as the Viacom building where
MTV, VH1 and other subsidiaries are housed. Why? Because building
workers spilled 10 gallons of hydrogen peroxide on the top
The spill was accidental=E2=80=94i
t seems that a machine the workers were using malfunctioned. The workers
refused medical attention after being decontaminated. WCBS 2 reports
that dozens of emergency vehicles were at the scene, but just as a
precaution. Which brought up the typical mixed reactions from tourists:
"I figured if there was something really wrong, obviously they would
make sure we weren=E2=80=99t around. [We=E2=80=99re] just watching them
do their job and do it well," said one woman from Idaho, while a
Connecticut resident said, "Of course I=E2=80=99m concerned.
What=E2=80=99s going on here? Because we know something happened here a
few months back."
LAB SAFETY MATTERS : NATURE
METHODS : NATURE PUBLISHING GROUP, http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/v7/n8/full/nmeth0810-589.html
safety is increasing, but new safety hazards, such as repetitive stress
injuries and potential toxicities from nanoparticles, are coming under
(CBS) =E2=80=95 A hazardous materials team responded to a reported
chemical spill Sunday on Terminal Island, a city fire official
There were no reported injuries.
possibly hydrochloric acid, was reported at 7:15 p.m. at 389 E. Terminal
Way, Erik Scott of the Los Angeles Fire Department said.
trail of green powder accidentally dumped along Interstate 15 just north
of Pocatello Sunday turned out to be a non-regulated
Idaho State Police, the fertilizer came from a semi truck with a belly
dump that was transporting the substance to Montana. The driver of the
truck hit his brakes at about 4 p.m. because a small fire in the median
of the interstate had reduced traffic to one lane. When he braked, it
shifted his load and opened the belly dump a little.
After about a mile, the driver
realized what was happening, pulled over and corrected the problem. ISP
officials held a conference call with Hazmat, Department of
Environmental Quality and Idaho Transportation Department officials and
determined the material was non-hazardous.
Arrangements were made to clean it
We have an update for you. Sergeant Marc Owen of
Abernathy Police says a preliminary investigation of the incident
appears it was a suicide.
APD initially received a phone
call from a family member around noon Friday, saying 48 year old
Elizabeth Griffin was supposed to be in Austin and didn't show up.
That's when police went to check on her.
The fire department was called
in because of a chemical odor. They discovered Griffins body and a
bathtub with chemicals in it, prompting the evacuation of nearby
Calif. (CBS 8) - A park was evacuated in Rancho Penasquitos, after a man
put a sign on his car warning that it was filled with poisonous
It happened just before 1 p.m. this afternoon at
Black Mountain Ranch Community Park.
The sign on the car said "Don't
open. Call hazmat or 911". When San Diego Firefighters opened the car,
they found the man's body inside.
The victim of an apparent
suicide and no one else was hurt.
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The southbound
lanes of the Gulf Freeway were shut down for hours following an accident
involving two 18-wheelers.
The accident happened around 6am
near Scott. Authorities say two big rigs on the outbound lanes of I-45
got too close to each other and hit. When they struck, they caught
One rig was carrying food service trays and the
other had two Fed Ex trailers, carrying Trimethyl ammonium and
Dimethylamine. Fire officials let the chemicals burn off and HazMat
crews had to form a dike to contain the runoff.
There was a
remediation crew on scene, collecting the water. EPA was also on scene
monitoring the situation.
fire on the Gulf Freeway has shut down all lanes of the interstate in
both directions near Scott.
Department hazmat crews have been fighting the blaze near downtown since
early Saturday morning, Houston Police Department spokeswoman Jodi Silva
"They can't get the fire out
because it's reigniting itself," she said. "The firefighters are having
trouble keeping the fire extinguished."
injuries were reported.
incident happened at 6 a.m. after two 18-wheelers headed southbound
side-by-side collided. Both trucks caught fire.
One of the vehicles, a FedEx truck, was hauling two
trailers and carrying both a powdery marine pollutant and a liquid
pesticide, HFD Assistant Chief Karen DuPont said. The other vehicle had
plastic food service trays inside.