Links to details available at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Hazmat
teams have determined fumes from a room painted overnight sickened
dozens of employees at an Orlando business.
workers were vomiting and dizzy when Orange County Fire Rescue crews
arrived Thursday morning.
Of 350 workers evacuated from the building, 47 were
treated on the scene. Three were taken to a hospital.
Authorities say weather conditions helped spread the fumes
from a room on the building's second floor that had been painted
Large fans cleared the fumes, and the building was
reopened later Thursday morning.
The Cary fire department has cleared the scene of an
explosion that occurred inside a lab at Natland International Corp., and
employees and other businesses in the building have been given
permission to return to their offices, the town said late Thursday
The explosion reportedly occurred while an employee
was routinely mixing chemical compounds, including trimethyl fluoro
sulfuric anhydride, sodium nitride and water, the town said in a written
statement. Initial investigations found damage to ceiling tiles and lab
cabinets but no significant structural damage, the town
Natland, which is located at 2700 Gateway Centre
Blvd., is an organic chemical company.
been no word on whether fines will be levied, but the town said Natland
may be held responsible for emergency response costs.
injuries were reported as a result of the explosion.
HazMat, OSHA and Wake County Department of Environmental Services also
responded to the call, the town said
Firefighters said they
prevented what could have been a catastrophic chemical leak Wednesday
along the Ohio River in Hamilton County.
Crews were sent to the DuPont plant on Brower Road
near Shawnee Lookout Park just about 1 p.m. after a small leak was
reported in a tank of sulfuric acid. Fire Chief Stephen Ober said the
leak was a gas that was 30 percent oleum.
Oleum, also called disulfuric acid, is used in several
manufacturing processes, including creating explosives. It's considered
highly corrosive and can be an airborne health hazard under certain
toxic spill prompted the evacuation of two Baltimore office
buildings. Right now, crews are still working to clean up the
The buildings were evacuated for a hydrofluoric acid
The process of dealing with the acid is extremely
dangerous because even one drop can lead to serious health
Eleven workers in two businesses were
"Just had to get out. They didn't tell us any
information other than we had to leave," said Michael
Crews first thought they were only dealing with a few
gallons of acid but quickly realized they were wrong.
"Evaluation by our hazmat task force revealed closer to 50 to
65 gallons spilled in an approximately 20 by 30 area," said Chief Kevin
Employees use acid to make etchings into
SEDAMSVILLE - A man is accused of operating a
methamphetamine lab and growing marijuana near an elementary
Paul Bryant, 44, was booked into the Hamilton County
jail about 7:30 p.m. Wednesday on multiple drug-related charges. He is
scheduled to appear Thursday before a municipal court
He was taken into custody shortly after Cincinnati
police went to his home in the 3100 block of River Road Wednesday.
Officers summoned a Hazmat team and Cincinnati firefighters as a
suspected meth lab was dismantled.
The residence is located
within 1,000 feet of Riverside Academy, an elementary school, court
FORCES EVACUATION, http://www.thedailyjournal.com/article/20100909/NEWS01/9090318
-- A sickening odor forced evacuation Wednesday afternoon of a medical
office building at the former Newcomb Medical Center complex off East
Chestnut Avenue and State Street.
Firefighters were called out
at 4:51 p.m.
No one was hurt in the incident, which was declared
contained shortly after 8 p.m.
including the inter-municipal Hazmat Team, cleaned up an unidentified
Team Responds To Health Center
Chief Robert Pagnini said the initial report was that people in the
Adult Medical & Specialty Care Center had heard a bang and
spotted a yellowish liquid on a floor.
was in a supply closet on the east end of the first floor of the
building, located at 1038 E. Chestnut Ave.
Fla. (WSVN) -- After a mysterious powder caused a scare on the campus of
Nova Southeastern University all day Tuesday, officials determined the
substance posed no threat.
Hazmat crews, along with fire crews and three
different police departments rushed to the administrative offices of
Nova after the suspicious material was found, late Tuesday
More than 40 people had to be evacuated from the
building near Southwest 36th Street and South University Drive and
quarantined on buses. They sat on the buses into the evening, as
officials tested the substance.
After initial testing at a
lab, officials determined the powder was not harmful. It will take a few
days before the substance can be identified.
UPDATED 12:35 P.M.: ULM
CLEARS CHEMISTRY AND NATURAL SCIENCE BUILDING AFTER FIRE ALARM GOES OFF
| THENEWSSTAR.COM | THE NEWS
Chemistry and Natural Science Building at the University of Louisiana at
Monroe was evacuated this morning and classes dismissed because a fire
alarm was activated about 10:30 a.m.
The call to the Monroe Fire
Department said there had been a chemical spill, but university
spokeswoman Laura J. Woodard said at about noon the reason the alarm
went off had not been determined
University police went to
the scene and contacted the Monroe City Fire Department, which responded
with the Hazmat team.
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post