Links to details available at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas
car carrying a petroleum byproduct of Marcellus Shale drilling sprung a
leak in a Green Tree rail yard Tuesday evening, spurring concerns of an
Chief Daniel Walsh of the Green Tree Volunteer Fire
Company said someone called 911 around 8 p.m. and said that a tank car
appeared to be releasing gas at the rail yard owned by Wheeling and Lake
Erie Railroad on Mansfield Avenue.
Firefighters discovered that
the tank's release valve had been tripped and that is releasing gas in
vapor form. Hazmat teams were called in and Mansfield Avenue was closed
between Noblestown Road and Holiday Drive.
chief of county emergency services, said the tanker was carrying a
mixture of propane and butane, a highly flammable liquid. He said the
leak had slowed by 11 p.m. and crews planned to remove some of the
tank's contents to stop the leak.
LONGMONT - Police found equipment that could have
possibly been used to make methamphetamine in a home in Longmont after a
neighbor reported smelling something strange on Monday.
The Longmont Police Department says they received a
call at 6:15 a.m. about an ether smell coming from a home in the 100
block of Bowen Street. Police treated the location as a possible meth
lab and called in the SWAT team. One man and three women out of the home
and authorities say they came out of house without
When investigators entered, they found liquids and
tubing that could be related to making meth. HazMat was called in and
they say none of the equipment has tested positive for the drug so
FOUND DURING ARSON FIRE NEAR GERMAN VILLAGE | NBC 4I, http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/sep/21
Ohio -- A near East Side house fire is ruled as arson and a fire chief
says there was a meth lab inside the home.
reported with the FAST FACTS from Columbus fire.
Fire Battalion Chief David Whiting told NBC 4 a Sunday night house fire
has been ruled as arson.
He also confirmed there was a meth lab inside the East
Sycamore Street home.
Firefighters were called to the 400 block of East
Sycamore Street at about 10:15 p.m. Sunday.
arrival crews heard small explosions inside the home.
Firefighters detected a sharp, chemical odor in the air and
called hazmat crews to the scene.
-- A Monday-morning explosion at a Merrill manufacturing plant sent two
people to the hospital and left two others suffering from burn
Merrill Fire Department Capt. Scott Krause said the
blast at Wire Products took place Monday morning when two employees
tried to ignite a large, gas-fired dryer in the building while two other
employees were in the room.
The two employees who were trying to light the dryer
were taken to Ministry Good Samaritan Health Center in Merrill with
first- and second-degree burns to the face and hands. The other two
employees were treated by firefighters at the scene.
of a downtown Vancouver condo are living in limbo waiting to find out
when their homes will be safe to return to after their building was
overcome with toxic fumes =97 twice.
The 21-storey Electra
Building, formerly the B.C. Hydro building at Nelson and Burrard
streets, was evacuated late Friday when smoke from a renovation project
filled the structure.
Residents from nearly 250 units were allowed back in
later that day, only to be asked to leave again Saturday when fumes
Gabe Roder, spokesperson for the Vancouver Fire Department, said
investigators have detected high readings of hydrogen cyanide in the air
at the building.
It=92s believed the fumes were caused when a
contractor replacing some tiles used chemical foam to raise concrete in
the basement and noxious fumes filled the tower.
Ga. - Atlanta police say a chemical spill has forced them to close
several roads in the midtown area.
Authorities say a 15-20
gallon drum containing herbicide or pesticide fell off a truck and
spilled at Northside Drive and 17th Street NW on Tuesday morning.
Atlanta fire crews were on the scene.
recently received an e-mail with a link to an article that had the title
=93Chemistry class explosion injures seven=94. I was hesitant to open
it, worried about what disaster I would find inside, but did anyway. The
article was about a local chemistry teacher who was demonstrating a
reaction between potassium chlorate and =93food=94 when the reaction
went =93awry=94 and exploded upon her and seven students. Luckily there
were no life threatening injuries, just minor cuts and burns. But,
despite these =93minor injuries=94, my mind still went to that classroom
on that day...
hazardous material emergency that forced the shutdown of the northbound
I-95 Darien rest area Sunday was prompted by hydrogen peroxide seeping
from a tractor trailer, police announced Monday.
from Troop G were dispatched to the service plaza around 1:30 p.m.,
according Lt. J. Paul Vance, after a report of an unknown liquid
escaping from a parked truck.
When troopers arrived, driver Jouharian V. Khatchik of
Pasadena, Calif. told them that he had been hauling eighty 55-gallon
drums of hydrogen peroxide (placard #2014). Khatchik said he had stopped
at the rest area and noticed the chemical leaking from the truck as he
prepared to leave, at which point he called 911.
firefighters, already on the scene when troopers arrived, closed and
evacuated the service plaza. Responders from the Department of
Environmental Protection and Connecticut Tank Removal, a company that
specializes in spill response, also came to the site of the
After containing the liquid, officials determined that
the load of barrels had shifted inside of the trailer, forcing one of
them against a protruding nail and causing the leak.
estimated eight tons of strong acid leaked from a tank on an abandoned
factory yard and flew into sewer lines, causing billows of red gases.
The accident got under control after two hours' efforts by local
fire-fighting and environmental staffers.