Links to details available at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas
morning fire, possibly caused by a chemical reaction, has temporarily
closed Libya's Deli, causing mostly smoke damage to the South Main
Street establishment, fire officials said.
there was some kind of reaction," Fire Marshal Bill Halstead
The call came in at about 12:40 a.m. Tuesday to the
Newtown police department after a motion detector alarm was triggered,
Several hours earlier, the owner had finished cleaning
the grill and stove, placing wet rags soaked with cleaning fluids in a
plastic pail and left for the evening at about 6 p.m., Halstead said.
Fire officials suspect the cleaning chemicals left over from the rags
may have reacted with another, sparking the fire.
and later fire responded to the scene, 286 S. Main St., and spent a few
minutes putting out the fire, which was pretty well contained, Halstead
=E2=80=8BThe residents of Venice, Illinois, claim that
the massive factory on the north side of their town, across the river
from St. Louis on State Route 3, has been poisoning them for decades.
Now, after a massive explosion and fire earlier this month, they may
have finally found an ally in the Illinois Environmental Protection
But while the people of
Venice have long believed that the culprit is the Dow Chemical Company
-- the former owners of the factory, who briefly used the facility for
nuclear weapons and fuel research -- the EPA is taking issue with
Magnesium Elektron North America, which has occupied the site since
Magnesium Elektron produces magnesium alloy, a type of
metal that's used in batteries, laptops and cell phones. On October 4
around 10:30 p.m., a batch of metal overheated inside a furnace and
caught fire. A sprinkler system doused the blaze with water, but,
instead of extinguishing the flames, the water only made matters worse.
A chemical reaction with hydrogen gas caused a blast that rocked a
nearby residential neighborhood.
CHARLOTTE, N.C.--Tuesday afternoon CMPD Bomb Squad
along with Special Agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and
ATF completed "render safe=" procedures at 10622 Mt.
Holly Road. This is the house of teenager, Jessie Bauguess, who
was arrested after a pen explosion at Turning Point Academy
Members of the Arson Task Force and CFD Hazmat are
currently processing the scene for evidence and are awaiting arrival of
EPA experts for evaluation of final clean up procedures.
Based on the investigation of the Arson Task Force and
response to 10622 the CMPD Bomb Squad has identified the explosive used
in the detonation at Turning Point School Monday. This explosive
is extremely potent and unstable. During initial testing of a
minute sample of the material, a spontaneous detonation injured three
members of the CFD HazMat response team which was assisting the CMPD
Bomb Squad and Arson Task Force. All three members were treated and
released for injuries which could have been more
AUBURN, Maine -- Auburn fire
officials say several leaks on a gas tanker car were successfully shut
off early Wednesday morning, five hours after they were
The leaks were discovered
just after 9 p.m. Tuesday night.
fire, the hazmat team and others responded about a quarter of a mile
south of the Danville Junction rail yard and Old Danville
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in
serving science, has introduced the new Thermo Scientific TS586e -86 =C2=B0
C freezer. As an environmentally friendly model, this CE-certified and
WEEE directive-compliant freezer employs CFC-free and HRC-free
hydrocarbon refrigerants. In addition, an industry leading low energy
consumption of 10.7 KWH/day (at the -80 =C2=B0C setpoint) makes the
TS586e an extremely energy-efficient option. Furthermore, with a sound
level of less than 49 dB(A), convenient and quiet operation within the
lab is achievable. Featuring a powerful refrigeration system with
water-blown foam insulation, rapid cooling is provided, and fast
response to door openings provides unmatched long-term performance. As a
result, precious samples are maintained in a safe, reliable and
precisely controlled ultra-low temperature environment.
2,000 gallons of chemical fertilizer spilled in the city's South Hill
area Monday afternoon in the same area where a much larger spill damaged
homes two years ago.
He said early reports indicate the spill "has no
apparent impact to waterways and public areas to include the
Thibeault said the accident happened when a top feeder
missed one of the rail cars, spilling about 2,000 gallons of the
fertilizer. He said it was the same substance that washed through the
neighborhood when a tank collapsed in November 2008, sending 2 million
gallons of the corrosive chemical through the
A SPORTS centre in Basingstoke was evacuated this
morning after reports of a chemical leak.
crews were called to the Aquadrome at 8.45am this morning after reports
that a member of staff had collapsed while working with chemicals in the
More than 30 customers and staff were evacuated from
the building, and two male members of staff were taken to Basingstoke
hospital as a precaution.
Ryan Thurman, station manager at Basingstoke fire
station, said: "It came through to us as a hazardous material
"What happened is one member of staff was
working with a couple of chemicals and has been overcome by the
He confirmed that the mixture of the chemicals
produced chlorine gas, which led to the evacuation of the
Fire crews left the scene at around 12.40pm, but the
Aquadrome remains closed until experts check the levels of the gas in
Summerville, S.C. =E2=80=93 A Monday afternoon fire is
sparking concern for the surrounding community.
black smoke and flames tore through Carpet Care Services on Route 78
just after 2 PM.
The flames were so intense at times; authorities had
to shut down parts of the Berlin G. Meyers Parkway for several
Firefighters from Summerville and Old Fort battled the
blaze, when they arrived flames were reportedly shooting from the top of
the one story structure.
"The fire was at a point where we were doing an
exterior attack we try not to send people into a bad condition like
that," Old Fort Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief, Joe Madlock
Making matters worse for firefighters, barrels of
industrial cleaning supplies housed inside.
dowsing the building with thousands of gallons of water, concern grew
those materials could have spread to nearby Saw Mill Brach, a small
creek flowing from the Ashley River.
DHEC officials were
immediately called in to assess the situation.
been checking the Saw Mill Branch and some of the run off water from the
fire service and fighting the fire. So far, we haven't found anything of
any particular concern all of the levels have been in what we consider
to be a normal range." Thom Berry of DHEC said.
A TEACHER was taken to
hospital following a chemical leak at a school in
Students and staff were evacuated from the science
block at the Philip Morant School, in Rembrandt Way, after ammonia was
found leaking from a refrigerator in a staff room.
services were called to the scene and set up a decontamination zone
after two members of staff were overcome by fumes.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Two
teenagers are under arrest after a massive investigation that began with
an ink pen explosion at a Charlotte high school.
Law enforcement officials evacuated more than two
dozen homes around Mount Holly Road in northwest Charlotte while they
searched for possible explosives. Three members of a hazmat team were
injured as they tested a sample taken that exploded. Eyewitness News is
told their injuries are minor.
went to the home after an explosion was reported at Turning Point
Academy. A student was using a pen when it exploded and the explosion
gave him shrapnel wounds to his arms and chest and burns to his
people at a Rhode Island state hospital that treats people with mental
illness are believed to have been exposed to hydrogen sulfide, but
officials said everyone's doing fine.
exposure occurred Monday morning in the Regan Building of the Eleanor
Slater Hospital in Cranston.
Ten staff members with symptoms including nausea and
vomiting, including one who fainted, were taken to other hospitals to be
The fire department says foam insulation disturbed
during roof work released the hydrogen sulfide.
Via Rail passengers travelling between Toronto and
Montreal face delays until at least Tuesday afternoon after a CN freight
train derailed near Cornwall on Monday.
Doyle, a Via Rail spokeswoman, said trains travelling between Toronto
and Montreal are being rerouted through Ottawa and that some train
service is being replaced with buses. The rerouting is adding about two
hours=E2=80=99 travel time each way.
The derailment occurred at
9:50 a.m. Monday when 18 of the freight train=E2=80=99s cars went off
the tracks. Six were carrying dangerous goods and one spilled about nine
kilograms of sodium cyanide, said CN spokesman Jim
"The spill is contained,=" Feeny said,
adding that a haz-mat team is on the scene disposing of the