Links to details available at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas
GERMANTOWN, TN (WMC-TV) - Germantown police issued a formal
warning Monday after a bag of candy left on a resident's porch produced
a potentially hazardous chemical reaction.
Investigators said the resident, who has not been named,
found a gift bag on his or her front porch Sunday. Inside the bag were
two packages of candy and a jar that appeared to contain expensive
When the jar was opened, an apparent chemical reaction
caused a foul odor.
The Germantown Fire Department's Hazmat team was
called to the scene. The results of tests conducted on the bag and
it's contents have not been released, but were alarming enough for
police to issue their warning.
"I'm pleased that they would
take time to make sure the community's safe," Germantown resident Julie
Investigators also consulted nearby agencies for
information and advice about the substance.
very least, police say, this is a case of serious vandalism, and it is
fortunate that no one was seriously injured.
Germantown police at 901-757-7339 if you receive a suspicious
=97 An employee at a dye plant was overcome by fumes that forced the
evacuation of two dozen employees at the plant on First Avenue on
Monday, a fire official said.
City firefighters and a Passaic County Hazmat Unit
were called to the Cardinal Color, Inc. plant at 50 First Ave.,
shortly after 11 a.m. after the fumes forced workers to evacuate, Deputy
Fire Chief Thomas Hirz said.
The employee had used mineral spirits to clean up a
spill, and fumes spread through the building, Hirz
The worker was =93decontaminated=94 at the scene and
treated at St. Joseph=92s Regional Medical Center, Hirz said. His
condition was not immediately available.
were allowed back into the building after county health officials tested
the air quality and deemed it safe, Hirz said.
HONOLULU -- Emergency crews
responded to a state prison Monday after a staff member complained of a
City ambulances arrived at
Oahu Community Correctional Center at noon.
A spokesperson for OCCC said maintenance crews used a
chemical to clean a clogged storm drain.
A staff member complained of the
The Honolulu Fire
Department's hazmat team responded to inspect the
The prison was evacuated
while crews determined it was OK to return.
An EMS spokesperson said a man was taken to the
hospital in stable condition.
Rock Island Arsenal=92s fire department, along with
several area fire departments, responded to the Joint Manufacturing
Technology Center on Arsenal Island on Monday after two employees
opening a container were exposed to a small vapor
The employees who opened the
container reported feeling nauseous about 12:30 p.m., prompting the
response from fire departments that included Moline, Rock Island, East
Moline and Bettendorf. Fifteen employees were evacuated from the
building that houses the technology center=92s heat treating
The two affected employees
were not hospitalized, and the building=92s employees returned to work
about 2:30 p.m.
The employees were working
with a container that was to be melted down, according to an Rock Island
Arsenal spokesman. The contents of the container are under
The HazMat team that
responded determined there were no hazardous materials present and there
was no risk to employees at the site.
Chevron Science Center on the University of Pittsburgh's campus has been
deemed safe after fears of a chemical leak prompted an evacuation this
Hazmat crews were called after someone inside the
building believed there was a hydrogen sulfate leak. A university
spokesman said someone smelled sulfur on the ninth floor and pulled the
fire alarm, prompting the evacuation.
was hurt, and environmental safety workers from the university gave the
building an all-clear, finding no chemical leak.
A chemical leak in Owatonna, Minn., sent three workers
to the hospital Monday night and halted activity at a window and door
hardware production facility for many hours, authorities said
The leak occurred about 5:20 p.m. Monday at the Truth
Hardware site in the 200 block of 24th Avenue SW., when a valve broke as
a worker was discharging sulfuric acid, said Fire Chief Mike
About 300 gallons of the chemical were lost, Johnson
said. The worker was decontaminated at the scene, taken to a hospital in
Owatonna and then moved by air ambulance to a second hospital. The
employee's condition was not immediately known. Two other workers were
also taken to a hospital for evaluation.
carrying hydrogen peroxide derailed in Hamilton at about 9 a.m. Monday
Monroe County Sheriff Andy Hood said his department
had a report of the train derailment, off of Stovall Bottom Road, in a
Columbus Air Force Base's hazmat teams and the
Columbus Fire Department responded to the scene and secured it for
several hours before a contractor for Burlington Northern Santa Fe
Railway took over.
"We had a trained get derailed and several cars come
off the track. In those cars, we had three cars that were overturned and
had hydrogen peroxide," said Martin Andrews, CFD battalion
"Out of those three cars that were turned over, two
were letting some of their contents out," Andrews said, noting this is a
built-in mechanism, "so it wouldn't build up pressure and
While household hydrogen peroxide is 2 to 3 percent,
the chemical being transported was 50 and 70 percent, Andrews
=97Sharp-eyed road workers, a quick response and Tuesday afternoon=92s
downpour combined to avert what could have been a major hazardous
material spill on North Main Street.
were very fortunate,=94 Dayton Fire Chief Herbert Redden said of the
spill of about 150 gallons of waste silver cyanide on Main, between
Hudson Avenue and Shadyside Drive, about 10 a.m.
A local waste recovery service was hauling the weak
solution from a chemical company to a disposal site when workers for a
contractor resurfacing Main spotted the truck=92s leaking
Seeing the truck=92s
hazardous material placard, the workers chased down and stopped the
vehicle, Redden said. The driver and another employee came in contact
with the solution and were treated for skin irritation at a hospital.
Two other people were taken to hospitals for
The Materials Research Laboratory building at Penn
State University Park was evacuated late this morning after a small
chemical explosion inside, university spokeswoman Lisa Powers
It happened about 11:30 a.m. in a laboratory room,
Powers wrote in an e-mail message. She indicated that no one was in the
lab at the time and that no one was hurt. The building is located on
Hastings Road just east of University Drive.
was reported, either, and clean-up has begun, Powers wrote. She added
that damages inside the lab are considered minor.
team and other emergency responders arrived at the scene, and Hastings
Road was closed off while the affected lab was evaluated, Powers
that two bottles of chemicals were involved in the explosion: one a
mixture of nitric and sulfuric acids, the other a mixture of ethylene
glycol and ammonium chloride.
that injured a Nazareth man on Saturday was sparked by an explosion of
chemicals he was mixing to make methamphetamine, Nazareth police
Chief Thomas Trachta said
Clay Rutt, 54, of 121 S. Main St., was mixing chemicals in a bottle at
the time of the explosion. Fire officials said Rutt was severely injured
and hospitalized for treatment.
VARANASI: At least two
labourers were killed, while four others sustained serious injuries,
when the safety valve of an Alumina Digestion Plant exploded in Hindalco
premises in Renukoot area under Pipari police station in Sonbhadra
district on Monday.
to inspector, Pipari, Vijay Mal Singh Yadav, some contract-basis
labourers were busy working near the Alumina Digestion Plant, when its
valve exploded and the chemical spread around. The labourers working in
the area came into contact with the chemical and were taken seriously
four ailing labourers were taken to Hindalco's hospital, where Mahendra
Kumar Kanojia of Mahuli and Ashwini Yadav of Kone died during the course
of treatment. Two other labourers, Lallu and A K Shrivastava, were
struggling for life. On receiving information of the incident, SDM,
Ghanshyam also reached the incident site.
TANK STORAGE MAGAZINE -
INDUSTRY NEWS, http://www.tankstoragemag.com/industry_news.php?item_id=2756
explosion at a China Petroleum and Chemical Corporation (Sinopec) oil
storage terminal in Yunnan province, south west China, on 15 October was
apparently caused by the ignition of residual oil in an oil tank while
the workers were welding it.
The oil storage is owned by Sinopec but had been rent
to a local private operator.
Four workers were wounded in the blaze and
hospitalised. Twenty-four fire engines rushed to the
BY CHEMICAL LEAK | CITY A.M., http://www.cityam.com/news-and-analysis/city-hit-chemical-leak
was hit by traffic chaos in the rush hour after a chemical spill at the
New Change shopping mall on Cheapside.
The London Fire Brigade in an alert said 30 people
were evacuated as specialist teams combed the building to assess the
cause of the spill.
Securities, which owns the shopping centre said: =93Some workers fitting
out a retail unit have been taken ill while carrying out work overnight
on site yesterday (24 October 2010). It is being investigated and we are
working closely with the police and fire services. The Centre is
currently closed as a precautionary measure.=94
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post